People and Culture Associate
🇺🇸 USA Only
RoleAll Other Remote
*This role is typically referred to as a People and Culture Associate; internally at Protect Democracy, we refer to this role as an Organizational Management (OM) Associate.
Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated individual to join our team in the role of OM Associate. If you have interest in the areas outlined below, but lack experience, we would still love to hear from you!
As OM Associate, you will support a small, highly collaborative team working to improve and strengthen our culture and management systems as Protect Democracy grows. You will work on initiatives that foster community, connections, and belonging within the organization, and play a key role in organizing virtual and in-person retreats and other team-building activities. You will also help implement some of our most critical human capital functions, including recruitment, onboarding and talent management, working in close partnership with members of the Organizational Management team and staff from across the organization.
The ideal candidate brings a strong detail orientation and communication skills; a flexible, growth-oriented mindset and collaborative approach; a commitment to excellence; and enthusiasm for our mission. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum to apply. You can work remotely from any location in the United States.
The OM Associate will:
- Identify and implement ways to enhance employees’ experiences and foster connections and community across Protect Democracy.
- Help organize internal meetings, events and gatherings, including virtual and in-person retreats, and draft and finalize communications.
- Conduct research and synthesize key learnings to inform and strengthen internal support tools, resources and trainings.
- Support other Organizational Management work streams that strengthen how we develop, engage, support and retain talent.
- Actively contribute ideas to our impact projects and participate in brainstorming and other team activities.
To be successful in this role, you should have:
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- Experience (or professional interest) in designing, coordinating, and/or running events;
- Interest in improving internal processes and systems to best support our work and overall mission;
- Strong research, writing, communication, and diplomacy skills;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence;
- Ability to foster collaborative relationships and work in a team environment;
- Ability to track, prioritize and balance a diverse set of responsibilities;
- Flexibility and comfort working in a collaborative start-up environment and partnering with team members from across the organization;
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for giving and receiving feedback up, down and sideways;
- Kindness and respect for others.
The starting salary range for this role is $56,650 - $62,046, commensurate with the candidate’s relevant experience, capabilities, and skills, and in alignment with internal equity.
About Protect Democracy
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Boston, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, California, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we are reopening our workspaces in line with current guidance.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. This position is full-time and offers a salary and benefits commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our staff generally make more than typical nonprofit salaries. And our benefits package is equivalent to the most competitive for-profit firms. Our intent is that finance not be a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater impact towards our mission. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes three months of paid parental leave, a 401(k) plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, discretionary bonuses, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to upload your resume and cover letter as a single PDF, and respond to a question by video.* Your application is incomplete and will not be considered until you have submitted your cover letter, resume, and video response. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
*You will not need special equipment or software to record your video, and you will have the ability to re-record your answer as many times as you'd like before submitting. Depending on your browser and security settings, you may be able to record the video through the link provided in the application or you may have to separately record and upload your video from your desktop or phone. We will not judge the quality of the video so long as we are able to clearly hear your answer. Your application is incomplete and will not be considered until you have submitted your video response.
Please contact email@example.com if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.