🇺🇸 USA Only
Arch Systems is seeking a talented and impactful DevOps Engineer to join our rapidly scaling team, supporting our development organization to ensure we are able to quickly, safely, and reliably build the applications that collect and make use of the data coming from the machines we instrument.
Started by Stanford Engineering PhDs and grown out of non-profit work in Africa, Arch is a venture-backed company working with top Fortune 500 customers to retrofit industrial machines with cutting-edge IoT to drive efficiency, transparency, and next generation intelligence.
We work in partnership with the manufacturing industry with a focus in surface mount technology. We also support a variety of ongoing developing world projects.
We are looking for talented and driven people wanting to transform manufacturing operations and to make the Earth more efficient, connected, and sustainable. Come join our diverse and passionate team.
We benchmark our compensation against market rates in the San Francisco Bay Area and use a compensation formula that includes a location factor to determine total target compensation. At Arch, total target compensation may be based on base salary, a completion bonus, and a performance bonus.
This is an opportunity to join our remote-equal team.. While we are a remote-equal team currently working from the US and Europe this role will require a Full-Time Employee based in the US and able to work on Eastern Time (UTC -5/-4). We are unable to sponsor a Visa at this How locked time.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As an Arch Senior Platform Engineer you will be responsible for the infrastructure for collecting and analyzing data and the web applications using that infrastructure. You will work with the largest datasets available in the electronics manufacturing industry, already collected into our data lake and well structured.
You will be working on the most advanced problems in the electronics industry that, in many cases, are not yet well-enough understood to be solved with straightforward applications of existing machine learning tools.
Your role will be to work in partnership with our product and development teams to ensure we have the quality, monitoring, security, and availability in our infrastructure and applications to build and grow quickly and successfully.
This job is best suited to those with Computer Science or related degrees, as well as 3+ years of industry experience in Devops and experience with AWS.
ABOUT THE STACK
Your team manages and deploys the ArchFX product which is a cloud based machine data collection and analytics platform. The product consists of a main web application deployed onto a kubernetes cluster via docker containers along with associated workers and other services that are also containerized and running in the same cluster. All infrastructure components are managed via terraform using infrastructure as code. CI/CD is run using Github Actions and includes both infrastructure changes as well as application deployments (handled on separate cadences). The application runs in AWS and makes heavy use of managed services such as RDS, Elasticache, EKS, ECS to reduce ops burden. Observability is handled via Prometheus and Loki into Grafana for metrics and logs, as well as Sentry for exceptions and api performance. Supporting big data infrastructure is built around S3 for storage, Lambda for ingest, AWS Batch for modeling and AWS Athena for querying. This is also managed via Terraform. The tenancy model is single-tenant for large enterprise customers requiring a significant investment in automation around new-tenant bring-up and new release rollouts.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING TO THE TABLE:
- 2+ years of professional experience in a Devops role and a Masters degree or 5+ years of experience with a Bachelors.
- Experience working with product and engineering teams to deliver the platform they need
- Experience in Agile or similar software development environments
- Experience with CI/CD automation (Github Actions being a big +)
- Experienced in operations and automation of cloud (AWS) - based Python/Django web applications with a strong data component
- Experienced in Big Data / Data Pipeline tools and time series datastores
- Familiarity with Kubernetes deployment tooling such as Helm
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to balance multiple work streams
- Collaborate closely with product development teams to design the quality, monitoring, security and availability of the different applications.
- Build, configure and tune highly available, fault-tolerant and scalable Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Participate in product discussions, influence the roadmap and take ownership and responsibility for new projects to make them happen.
- Proven experience with IaC tools such as Terraform
- Proficiency with troubleshooting, monitoring, and analytics.
WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT:
- Experience and domain knowledge in manufacturing and process improvement
- Specifically any experience or knowledge in electronics manufacturing
- Experience with Data Science and/or IOT products
- Familiarity with Data and Query optimization
- Familiarity with ML optimization and resource allocation
- Experience in communicating complex technical ideas to high level business leaders (managers, directors, up to VPs and C-level)
- Experience working with a remote, distributed team
- Leadership skills and experience
HOW WE WILL SUPPORT YOU:
- Ambitious and clear vision of how you can be a part of transforming the manufacturing supply chain and building next generation IoT technology
- Highly motivated and experienced team with the relevant domain expertise and network
- Ability to deploy your work solving cutting edge problems with Fortune 500 customers and nonprofit developing world partners alike
- Learning & Development budget to allow you to continue to grow in not only your function, but in any way that relates!
- Trust in your ability to do your best work when and where you want and to communicate this with your team
- Flexible Time Off: take the time you need, including an end-of-year break and an ask that all Arch-itects take at least one additional (consecutive) week off each year to recharge in addition to local holidays and religious observances
- Opportunity to challenge yourself, be nurtured, and grow in a highly dynamic environment
- A culture that welcomes and encourages autonomy, ownership, and transparency; allowing you to make, learn from, and teach others in your “failures” as much as your successes
- Potential to travel to annual Arch Summit, when it is safe to gather again in-person
- A culture of diversity of thought and background with many languages and nationalities on the team
Resumes must be submitted in English
We encourage interested and enthusiastic applicants to apply and not allow imposter syndrome to self-select out of an opportunity. We believe in hiring people as their full and authentic selves, allowing them to utilize their strengths and then helping them to learn, grow, and add to those strengths