AssemblyAI (YC 17)
Remote Staff Software Engineer, Python+ML
Anywhere in the World
RoleFull Stack Programming
We're looking for a senior backend engineer with strong software and cloud engineering skills. You'll help us build highly scalable developer-centric APIs powered by state-of-the-art ML models. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Build new API features and endpoints
- Build automated test suites and CI/CD pipelines
- Integrate and deploy state of the art machine learning models into production
- Build new batch and streaming applications
- Refactor applications to eliminate tech debt
- Troubleshoot production issues
- Participate in the team on-call rotation
You'll love this job if you....
- Enjoy solving complex technical problems, even when there is no perfect solution.
- Enjoy being in a fast paced, customer-facing role.
- Thrive in small, cross-functional teams. We like to wear many hats here!
- You're excited to tackle big technical challenges like fast scaling of ML models and achieving zero-downtime deploys.
- 5+ years of experience working with Python
- 5+ years of working with SQL and NoSQL databases
- 3+ working with Python backend frameworks like Django, Flask, or Tornado
- 2+ years developing REST APIs
- 2+ years working with common AWS services
- 2+ years of production support experience
- Startup or FAANG-type experience - Has worked at a startup or high growth company
- Deep AWS knowledge - Has many years of experience solutioning within AWS
- Strong Python coding abilities - Can pass difficult programming challenges in a relatively short period of time. Can speak clearly about their thinking throughout these challenges. Can speak to O-notation of algorithms. Has excellent knowledge of common python idioms and libraries.
- Leadership experience - Has led large projects and/or teams towards a big goal with success
- Machine learning experience - Has worked with machine learning models at scale
- High scalability leadership experience - Has been a tech leader on scaling systems to hundreds of millions of requests/events per day. Has experience with hyper-observability, scaling algorithms, and using production data to drive system changes
- Amazing system design chops - When given a hard problem to solve with a new system, they can quickly shape an effective design and communicate its strengths, weaknesses, and tradeoffs.
- High-octane thinking - Engages deeply on subjects of expertise. Thinks ahead many steps and can see where decisions are likely to lead. Their brains compute at a very high level.
- Extremely creative - Can find both novel and effective solutions within highly constrained time and resources
- Fast learner - Has shown they can ramp up on difficult topics very fast
- Pushes beyond expectations - Exceeds expectations of whatever they're focused on without impacting timelines.
- Exceptional gut instincts - Can practically feel when something is right or wrong. Can use these instincts to quickly point themselves in the right direction.
- Demanding - They don't shy away from conflict. If they see something that doesn't seem right they speak up and demand change. They don't let poor performance go unnoticed. They demand more from everyone around them and equally in themselves.
- Opinionated - They have convictions in what they believe and can communicate their position clearly without drama.
- Salary Range (Global): $140,000 - 220,000 USD
- 100% Remote team
- Unlimited PTO
- Premium Healthcare (100% Covered for you + dependents)
- Vision & Dental Care
- $1K budget for your home office setup
- New Macbook Pro (or PC if you prefer)
- 3-4x/year company paid team retreat