Boclips has big ambitions. We’ve built an AI-led product that is transforming the discoverability of multimedia content for education. Multimedia such as videos and podcasts are critical in the online delivery of learning experiences to engage students and improve outcomes - but in order for those assets to provide value, they need to find their right place within the different learning curricula. That's where our data team comes in!
We are looking for a Data Engineer to work with our small and experienced data team, fully integrated with data science to automate the curation of educational media.
About the role
We have 2 million videos in our catalogue that need enriching metadata such as categories, education level, pedagogy (hook / explainer / context builder etc.). The data science team is building and improving models in these areas that need deploying into our production system and monitoring.
We have a vision to capture all data in a clean format that is easily queried. We need to improve and expand the pipeline to support this, define and improve the schemas being queried and ensure it can be used effectively by the business (currently we use looker).
What you'll do
- We deliver continuously, run experiments and communicate results in short cycles and ship code frequently
- We use TDD. Following the red/green refactor cycle of Test-Driven Development is enjoyable and helps to keep everything in perspective. It helps us as engineers to think through a problem, detailing required functionality through tests
- Data. Gathering events from users’ actions allows for better decisions on improvements and choosing new features
- Automation. As a startup we're still in the phase of building and optimising our internal workflows. We're continuously looking at ways to automate back office tasks to make everyone happy.
We believe in hiring for engineering aptitude over niche or deeply technical skills.
- You can communicate clearly to all audiences, including non-technical team members and external partners
- You advocate for writing high-quality code and leaving things in a better state than you found them.
- You’re a well-rounded data engineer who likes to understand the business context and anything else that might impact the product.
- Top level communication skills and in English
- A well rounded understanding of data lakes, data pipelines
- Used to working alongside data science
GCP, Kubernetes, Terrafrom, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, Bigquery, Looker
Nice to have
We leverage state of the art technologies to deliver our solutions. We expect most candidates will have some of the following.
- Experience working with GCP, Kubernetes, and Terraform
- Elasticsearch and MongoDB
- Data modelling and BigQuery or a similar technology
- Experience working with looker or similar technology
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines
- Experience deploying machine learning models
- Target base salary £60,000-£75,000 dependant on experience or location equivalent (with some flex dependant on experience).
- Annual bonus up to 10% of salary
- 30 days PTO (+ 9 public holidays)
- Fully-flexible working options
- Private healthcare with Vitality
- Penfold Pension Scheme 8% total contribution
- Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks fully-paid)
- Professional development budget
- Home office set-up budget
- Global off-sites in Europe or US once a year. Lisbon in 2022!
Outside the UK or US, we have two employment options, either contracting or via remote.com.
At Boclips, we’re building a product for education, which means we are building a product for all learners. Our platform and its content is viewed by thousands of students around the world every week who have different needs, abilities and backgrounds. That’s why we are committed to hiring people regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability so our team can better empathise with our users.