Senior React Native Engineer
VALR Company Information
VALR has built the largest cryptocurrency platform headquartered in Africa, serving over 300,000 customers. We are proud to offer a suite of products that are helping increase economic freedom and build a financial system that recognizes the oneness of humankind.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at VALR, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture where we:
- Default to a high degree of autonomy and ownership combined with positive energy and truth-seeking
- Embrace feedback
- Disrupt ourselves
- Expect sustained high performance
Second, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone, which we're working to achieve with our suite of products that serve South Africans and eventually customers globally.
With the above in mind and our goals of disrupting the financial system and serving humanity, we require unique, dedicated and incredibly talented people to join the VALR family.
Senior React Native Engineer
VALR is looking for a highly skilled React Native Developer with experience in building mobile applications on iOS and Android that is fast, accurate, scalable and secure to help us deliver the best experience possible to our customers.
We are seeking someone who has a proven track record of successful delivery of mobile applications independently or as part of a team.
What would you be doing?
- Build best-in-class mobile application features for one of the fastest growing exchanges in Africa, using React Native and Typescript.
- Integration with backend REST API's and Websockets
- Work alongside our designers in order to convert designs into a working mobile experience
- Write easy to read, maintainable code
What we look for in you?
- 6+ years of software development experience
- Experience in architecting, building and maintaining excellent, high performance React Native mobile applications.
- Experience in building and integrating with REST API's and/or Websockets
- Solid understanding of version control, containerisation and CI/CD concepts
- Build user interfaces based on Android & iOS UI standards.
- Attention to detail in UI implementations to match designs.
- Implement clean, modern, smooth animations and transitions that provide an excellent user experience.
- Good experience with unit and integration testing.
- Work independently as well as within a team, seeing work through from concept to completion.
- Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications.
- Help maintain code quality and organisation.
- Excellent knowledge of iOS and Android.
- Ability to create and maintain continuous integration and delivery of mobile applications.
- Some familiarity with Google Cloud Platform, AWS, or other cloud providers
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to operate independently in a demanding and dynamic environment
- Strong sense of ownership
- Driven by a passion to learn constantly
- Critical thinker not afraid to make quick decisions and follow through
- Ability to move quickly and adapt to a changing environment
Nice to haves
- Passion for cryptocurrencies and alternative financial systems
- Experience working remotely in an early stage startup environment
- A natural inclination to help people and the ability to explain technical details simply
What can you expect from VALR?
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry
- Leave: Flexible leave policy with 3 weeks minimum
- Remote work: Work from wherever you like - Employees to ensure that there is secure, stable internet connectivity in order to effectively work remotely
- Home office setup: Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after 3 years
- Learning fund: R10,000 per employee per year for anything that helps you upskill for work, in addition to scheduled VALR training
- Performance bonus: When you contribute to VALR's success, you'll be rewarded with discretionary bonuses
- 3 months maternity and 1-month paternity paid leave
- Regular get-togethers outside of work (COVID permitting)
- Annual company retreats (COVID permitting)