Staff Software Developer
RoleAll Other Remote
Charlie builds progressive HR solutions for startups and ambitious small businesses to successfully manage their teams and intentionally craft their culture.
We’re looking to hire our first Staff Software Developer to join our growing product development team – to work closely with the Head of Engineering on technical strategy; coach and mentor our senior individual contributors; and grow the knowledge and expertise of the function as a whole.
Come on and join us to make work better!
We have a career progression framework that includes Individual Contributor (IC) and People Manager (PM) tracks. In contrast to Senior Software Developers (IC4), Staff Software Developers (IC5) are usually not placed directly into cross-functional product teams and instead work across all of our teams to drive the long-term technical strategy and ambition, and support our IC3s and IC4s on their own journey to IC5 through coaching and mentorship. You can read more about these IC leadership positions here
As a Staff Software Developer you’ll be responsible for:
- Supporting the Head of Engineering on setting and achieving our technical strategy
- Growing the knowledge and expertise of the function as a whole
- Collaborating with product managers, designers and developers across our cross-functional product teams to multiply the impact of those team members
- Taking on the most complex and challenging projects we have
You must have:
- Self-awareness and humility – you know that honest feedback is how you grow, and you’re not afraid to ask for help.
- Experience setting and progressing towards an ambitious technical strategy
- Broad web application development experience — you’ve worked on hard projects, learned a ton, and are ready to share that knowledge
- Excellent one-on-one and broadcast communication skills — you collaborate, coach, teach, debate and inspire
Let us know if you have: (all of these are desirable, but none are required)
- Experience with our specific tech stack: Ruby, Rails, PostgreSQL, Heroku
- Experience working on SaaS products
- Familiarity with building apps where security is a major concern
We will still consider applications even if you don't meet every single one of the above requirements, so don't be put off if you don't match them absolutely perfectly!
This is a permanent full-time role. We cannot offer visa sponsorship and you must be able to work in the UK.
How we're crafting ownership, belonging and structured flexibility:
- A team of 51 that genuinely enjoy spending time together, with regular in-person and remote events to foster connection
- 9 day fortnights; we're trialling an adjusted work week, and 'deep-work Wednesdays' as our way of driving our effectiveness as a company, while improving both team performance and wellbeing
- Hybrid-first approach; we optimise for office and remote working to be valued equally, and to be equally valuable
- Live anywhere in the UK; we have 6 set days per year that we require the team to be together in our London office, but you have the flexibility to live anywhere in the UK
- 30 bookable "nomad working" days outside of the UK in any timezone each year
- No fixed working hours; you take ownership over how you get your work done
- An amazing office space in East London's pet-friendly Second Home, and membership access to their wider London, Lisbon and LA locations
- Regular “exploration days” when you can work on whatever across the company
- We have review cycles 3x a year using our transparent career progression framework, and dedicated personal development time
You can find out more about the way we work at Charlie by checking out our Handbook here.
- Salary from £88,000 to £102,000 based on your level within our progression framework
- Equity options after 3 months
- A huge focus on mental health, including bookable “Personal days”
- Access to Spill, offering six 121 counselling sessions, and much more
- £30 monthly wellbeing budget
- Enhanced Equal Parental Leave policy
- £550 yearly learning budget
- £500 yearly flexible working budget
- 25 days annual leave + public holidays + Christmas break
- A sabbatical of up to one month paid at 50% of salary, for every 3.5 years worked at Charlie.
Equal Opportunities Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team.
We welcome all applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please let us know if you require anything which would enable your success throughout our interview process.