Director of HR & Finance
2 to 5 years
RoleManagement and Finance
Who we are
Climb Hire's mission is to create economic opportunity and mobility.
We train and prepare diverse and determined working adults earning below the livable wage for entry-level jobs in corporate America via four distinct learning tracks: Salesforce Administrator, Customer Experience, Google Project Management, and Financial Services with Fidelity. Most Climbers are between the ages of 22 and 40 and the majority do not hold four-year degrees. We're not just a class, we're a community. Relationship-building is at the core of our model, since we know that 9 out of 10 job seekers land roles through warm connections versus applying cold. Our community is built on "paying it forward": we forge a network of peers and alumni who empower each other in every way, through job referrals and emotional and intellectual support.
80% of our first and second cohorts secured jobs that increased their income 2-3x. Climbers gain, on average, $40k in their new roles.
Climb Hire is a national organization and we work remotely. We are expanding rapidly across the country and are poised to grow by 3-10x in the next two years.
Who we're looking for
The Director of Finance & HR is the primary individual responsible for supervising Climb Hire's finance, accounting, human resources, and regulatory compliance functions. In addition, they are tasked with ensuring our business systems and processes advance the organization's mission and make it easy for our staff to do the same.
This Director will be responsible for delivering or building systems and processes that provide regular financial reporting to internal budget managers, executives, funders (both philanthropic and governmental), and board members, as well as occasional summary reporting at the senior leadership team meetings and all staff meetings.
We are a small shop relying heavily on third parties to perform back office functions. The Director of HR & Finance is responsible for carefully selecting and diligently managing these vendors. They will be expected to serve as an in-house expert, advising the leadership team on major strategic decisions and as a trustworthy independent manager of short-to-mid-term strategic decisions.
An obsessive attention to detail, outstanding internal communications, and proven experience as a project manager and problem solver is required for the role.
This is a fully remote role open to candidates located anywhere in the United States.
Climb Hire is at the start of a rapid growth stage. We're seeing an increase in the diversity and sustainability of our funding streams, and our team is on track to grow by about 30% in 2023. However, we know the HR, Finance & Accounting practices that got us to this place aren't the ones that will take us to our next goal.
As a constituent-funded nonprofit organization, it is mission-critical that every dollar invested in Climb Hire makes the most significant possible impact on the lives of our program participants. Our funders must trust their investments are managed well, and our HR systems must attract and retain world-class talent. We've got a good cash position, healthy and diversified revenue streams, and an industry-competitive compensation plan. We need your help.
In year one, you can expect to lead an enterprise-wide improvement of our entire finance and accounting lifecycle—from revenue tracking and accounts receivable to budgets, forecasting, procurement, payroll, and accounts payable. This will likely require meaningful changes to our technology stack—currently comprised of Bill.com, Divvy, Quickbooks, and Google Sheets—in partnership with our IT & outsourced back office partners.
Beginning in the 2023 fiscal year, we will also need to complete our first Single/A133 Audit.
At the same time, you'll be tasked with evaluating and preparing for a near-term improvement project of our human resources and associated compliance infrastructures.
You'll have the support of a world-class consulting firm in leading the transformation and a budget for an outsourced back-office provider to keep things running smoothly. As the primary leader responsible for ensuring our finance, HR, and compliance systems advance Climb Hire's mission, we need you to be an expert change manager who can lead those vendors and our internal teams into the future of finance, HR & compliance.
If you enjoy wrapping your arms around messy processes and making them make sense, if you want to do big things fast and leave your mark on an organization for decades to come, and if you thrive in entrepreneurial environments where we're hungry to see you put your skills to work, you'll love this place.
Finance & accounting
- Lead strategic conversations about finance projects, budgets, budget-v-actuals, and spend planning
- Procure and manage relationships with vendors for outsourced back office, employee benefits, payroll, audit, monitoring, and accounting
- Manage the organization's banking relationships and facilitate major transactions
- Maintain executive team's awareness of the organization's cash flow/cash positions and overall revenue and budget performance
- Develop and ensure accurate implementation of a cost allocation strategy for direct/indirect costs; when appropriate, begin annual negotiation of a federally approved indirect cost rate
- Advise development staff on grant submissions, for example:
- Develop grant application budgets
- Project cash flow to ensure adequate cash is on hand for the execution of cash reimbursement grants
- Answer key questions about the organization's fiscal performance, insurance coverage, and so on
- Develop and lead the adoption of internal policies and procedures for finance and accounting, for example:
- Procurement policy & procedures
- T&E policy & procedures
- Employee credit card policy & procedures
- Accounts receivable policy & procedures
- Accounts payable policy & procedures
- Ensure the timely and accurate completion of all financial reports required by our funders, for example:
- Cost-reimbursement grant invoices
- Budget-v-actual reports
- Grant expenditure projections
- Ensure the timely and accurate submission of all financial reports and documents required for regulatory or legislative compliance, for example:
- Unemployment and state-mandated disability tax filings
- Payroll tax filings
- Secretary of state filings
- Ensure the timely and accurate completion of an annual single audit/A-133 audit
- Ensure the organization maintains adequate liability coverage, including general liability, cyber, worker's comp, D&O, E&O, and EPLI coverage at all times
- Manage chart of accounts and ensure that all parties involved in budgeting, transacting, and journal entries are appropriately trained in the allocation of costs across funds and accounts
- Manage all human resources functions with the potential assistance of a professional employment organization (PEO) or consultants
- Develop and lead the adoption of best-in-class recruitment, selection, and onboarding processes
- Maintain contracts and offer letters for employees and freelance contractors.
- Identify and anticipate HR-related risks and opportunities to ensure the organization's sustainability
- Provide guidance and counsel to managers and employees on employee relations issues.
- Address employee grievances and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that foster a positive and inclusive work environment
- Develop and implement performance management programs that align with the organization's goals–ensuring that the performance management process is fair, transparent, and consistent.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, such as Equal Employment Opportunity Americans with Disabilities Act
Leadership & Strategy
- Collaborate with the Senior Leadership Team to execute the current and future vision.
- Contribute to strategies in organizational development and growth.
- Plan financial and HR infrastructure to support new products and programs.
- Develop and implement HR strategy aligned with the organization's mission and goals.
- Significant experience in change management, project management, and vendor management
- Significant experience documenting and leading the adoption of policies and procedures
- Advanced proficiency in data synthesis, analysis, and application with experience clearly communicating complex financial data and concepts to non-finance leaders
- Strong time management, organizational, communication (verbal and written), and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with a great degree of attention to detail
- Passionate about and able to clearly articulate Climb Hire's mission and vision
- Proven track record of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion priorities.
- 5+ years in finance and accounting leadership
- 2+ years in human resources and compliance leadership
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, business administration, public administration, or a related field.
- Four years of relevant full-time professional experience may be substituted for a Bachelor's degree
- Background free of financial crimes and crimes involving the misuse of personally identifying information (for example, identity theft)
- Authorized to work in the United States
- SHRM certification or additional HR certification
- Gold & platinum health insurance plans with generous premium contributions. Climb Hire pays 89% of your premiums and 50% of premiums for your dependents.
- 401 (k) with dollar-for-dollar matching up to 4% of your annual salary.
- 20 paid days off per year: 15 discretionary PTO and 5 sick days.
- 13 paid holidays + office closure for the last week of the year.
- Fully remote environment, work anywhere in the United States
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
Climb Hire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We seek to build a diverse staff representative of the communities we serve. All qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Jobs by Expertise
Jobs by Skill
© Copyright AllRemote 2022. All Rights Reserved