Frontend Engineering Manager (100% Remote)
At Close, we're building the sales communication platform of the future. With our roots as the very first sales CRM to include built-in calling, we're leading the industry toward eliminating manual processes and helping companies to close more deals (faster). Since our founding in 2013, we've grown to become a profitable, 100% globally distributed team of ~55 high-performing, happy people that are dedicated to building a product our customers love.
We care about performance (e.g. route-based code splitting), maintainability, and testability of our frontend code. We sweat the UI/UX details and work collaboratively with the Product team throughout the design process. This means diving into lo-fi wireframes, and communicating continuously when those ideas are brought to life using Figma and code.
Our frontend app is built on top of our REST API & GraphQL endpoints. Our backend tech stack consists of Python/Flask, MongoDB, Postgres, Elasticsearch, and Redis. We run our services in Docker on AWS.
We ❤️ open sourcing our code and ideas on our GitHub and on The Making of Close, our behind-the-scenes Product & Engineering blog. Check our projects such as react-custom-scroller, use-infinite-scroll, use-abortable-effect, and smart-tooltip-delay or insights from our day-to-day work on such as Highlights From a Complex Downshift.js Refactor, A Case Study in"Reactizing" a Complex Backbone View, and Finding the cause of a memory leak in Jest tests.
We're looking for an experienced full-time Frontend Engineering Manager to join our engineering team. You should be an empathetic leader, have spent part of your career as a senior-level engineer, and want to help build & grow a team of high-performing engineers.
You should have senior-level (4 years+) experience building modern frontend applications, preferably using React or similar framework.
You should have significant experience (2 years+) leading and growing a team of engineers. You enjoy helping engineers thrive and grow in their roles. You should have a very good idea of how to run 1:1s with your direct reports and how to form strong relationships. You should be comfortable with giving continuous feedback and doing performance reviews. You are expected to grow the team as-needed and help lead a hiring process.
You have a track record of managing engineering teams that delivered great products and features. You should be very comfortable working with the Product and Design teams to formulate product ideas, skilled at writing & reviewing technical specifications, and planning work for your team. You can take on non-critical path technical work if time allows.
You’re comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a medium-sized talented team where you're supported in your efforts to grow professionally. You are able to manage your time well, communicate effectively, and collaborate in a fully distributed team.
You are located in an American time zone.
- Experience practicing the Shape Up product development methodology
- Experience scaling a small engineering team into a few teams
- Experience building JS-based mobile apps
- Built B2B SaaS products
- Experience with sales or sales tools
- Manage and grow a team of 4-8 high-performing engineers, support them through 1:1s and continuous feedback, and support their career growth.
- A mix of team leadership, people management, product ideation, project coordination, and maximum 10% of your time spent on non-critical path IC work.
- Work with a team of mostly-senior engineers, product managers, and designers to deliver great features.
- Manage and optimize development processes as the team grows.
- Participate in creating a long-term frontend strategy.
- Culture video 💚
- 100% remote company (we believe in trust and autonomy)
- Choose between working 5 days/wk (standard full-time) or 4 days/wk @ 80% pay
- Annual team retreats ✈️
- Quarterly virtual summits
- 5 weeks PTO + Winter Holiday Break
- 2 additional PTO days every year with the company
- 1 month paid sabbatical every 5 years
- Co-working stipend
- Revenue Share (after 1 year)
- Paid parental leave
- Medical, Dental, Vision with HSA option (US residents)
- 401k matching at 6% (US residents)
- Dependent care FSA (US residents)
- Contributor to Stripe's climate initiative 🌍❤️
- Our story and team 🚀
Our application process was designed to promote equitable and unbiased hiring practices. We ask a small series of questions that are similar to what would be asked in the first interview. This helps us learn more about you right from the start so please be sure to answer each question thoughtfully. Each application will receive two screens by two different reviewers. Regardless of fit, you will hear back from us letting you know if we'll be moving forward.