Head of Talent
🇺🇸 USA Only
RoleAll Other Remote
At Convergent Research we launch large-scale, high-impact science projects. We aim to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
The Head of Talent at Convergent Research will play a crucial role for each of our new FROs. You’ll help teach FRO founders everything that they need to know about hiring and scaling a company from 2-25. You’ll be the primary recruiter for some of these roles and manage outside recruiting firms for others.
Each year, we’ll launch a series of new FROs under the Convergent Research banner. That means each year we’ll have brand new founders who quickly need to become experts in all things recruiting. Not just “how do I source the best candidates for Molecular Biologist?” but nuanced things like “how many hires can I bring on at once?” or “How do you design a comprehensive interview loop if you only have 2 employees?”
- Biased towards action. Instead of waiting for detailed instructions to come to you, you seek out information and ask for advice from stakeholders. After that, you’re off to making stuff happen.
- Empathetic (but not to a fault.) We’re all human and you’re very aware of that. You’ll work with people as individuals to try to understand their needs and find the best possible solutions for everyone.
- A great juggler. Startups move at a fast-pace and you are able to change priorities and handle multiple projects at once without blinking. Actual juggling is always a plus.
- Build Good Teams. Imaging great teams is one thing, and building them is another. You know how to make those around you better and feed off their energy. You take care of your teammates.
- Design processes. You are able to develop systems on a company level that mitigate bias in hiring, cultivate relationships to build our pipeline, and keep track of short and long term staffing needs.
- Technical/Scientific. You’re excited to learn the difference between someone who is an expert at expansion microscopy vs electron microscopy (or you already know the difference.)
- An excellent judge of talent. You have a large network of excellent people. You’re constantly discovering inspirational humans who then later reach out to you to help find even more great people.
- Recruit the scientists and engineers who will change the world. Work with our FRO staff to write job descriptions, post on job boards, do outbound recruiting, review resumes and conduct interviews.
- Build executive networks. We are launching a series of FROs that will all need leadership teams. You’ll work cross functionally with the Convergent Research leadership and our event staff to build a network of talented entrepreneurs that we can tap for FRO leadership roles.
- Be our teacher. Help coach interviewing skills. Provide guidance on compensation. Help FROs structure their hiring plans.
- Iterate, iterate, iterate. If a certain recruiting pipeline or process isn’t working, you recognize that and make adjustments to optimize candidate quality and quantity.
- Create an intentionally inclusive team. We seek to be guided by a diverse set of voices, which we believe are instrumental to the success of the organization and the individuals who comprise it.
- Bring on the resources you need to make this successful. Hire a sourcing firm. Manage external recruiters. Make hires you might need.
In six months, you will have:
- Recruited 6-10 employees. That means from beginning to end - job descriptions, sourcing, interviewing to offer letters and onboarding.
- Designed a skills based recruiting process. Every job should have a scorecard, a job description and interview templates in Lever. You’ll teach people how to use each of these tools.
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields.
- Competitive salary: $180,000 - $250,000.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan; parental leave.
- Generous time off + paid holidays.
- Wellness allowance for fitness and wellness activities.
- Support for fully remote work.
- Frequent opportunities to spend time with colleagues in person.
Convergent Research aims to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
Convergent Research, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.