Data Science Manager
We're transforming the world of freight
Dray Alliance is pioneering truly digital-first port logistics and is one of the fastest-growing companies in the world of supply chain. We’re using data and technology to transform drayage, and we hold ourselves to the high standard of delivering radical -- not just incremental -- solutions to the problem. Since our founding in 2018, we've raised tens of millions of capital from top venture capital firms like Matrix Partners and Craft Ventures and we’ve been on a mission to transport freight more efficiently by eliminating waste.
Dray Alliance is in search of a dynamic and experienced Data Science Manager to help us deliver a predictable, reliable, and fast drayage experience for our customers, among whom are some of the top importers and brands in the world. In this critical role, you will report to the company’s VP of Engineering and collaborate on a wide range of business and product problems with key stakeholders across Product, Engineering, Business Analytics, Finance, Sales, Carrier Management, and Customer Experience.
What You'll Do
- Lead a team of data scientists and data analysts to develop data pipelines, rollup tables, data dashboards, and predictive models to drive key product and business strategy and prioritization decisions.
- Establish a positive and inclusive work environment that enables each member of the Data Science & Analytics team to perform their best.
- Communicate and cascade down appropriate business context to the team so the team can make informed decisions that positively impact the business goals of Dray Alliance.
- Establish and maintain a data roadmap and ensure that each project has a well-defined scope and is assigned to the correct member of the team while fostering domain knowledge affinities between each team member and related Product and Engineering teams.
- Drive data science and analytics projects end-to-end in partnership with Product and Engineering.
- Identify opportunities to improve data infrastructure and evolve the data stack at Dray Alliance to stay ahead of the team’s needs and work with Engineering to implement changes in infrastructure and tooling.
- Contribute towards advancing the Data Science & Analytics team’s systems and processes at Dray Alliance, including but not limited to driving best practices (e.g. analysis, definition, experimentation), improving analytical processes, scaling knowledge and tools, and mentoring other data scientists and analysts.
What Success Looks Like
- Data science is applied effectively to business problems at Dray Alliance and drives tangible business outcomes.
- Product team is able to make informed decisions with data and well-designed experiments.
- Key users outside the Data Science & Analytics team are able to self-service data needs through reusable and extensible rollup tables and dashboards with clear, concise documentation.
- The Data Science & Analytics team is a regular provider of product and business opportunities through deep analysis of our data.
- The organization’s data stack is incrementally evolved while striking a pragmatic balance between cost and need.
- Your team’s roadmap is clear and well understood by key stakeholders.
What You'll Bring
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Expertise in SQL and familiarity with Python.
- Working knowledge of predictive modeling, machine learning, and experimentation/causal inference methods.
- Expertise in data workflows and pipelines. Has led a team responsible for data capture, measurement, and optimization.
- Ability to balance practical business needs and scientific rigor.
- Comfort in navigating through ambiguity and adapting to the dynamic business needs and challenges of a fast-growing startup.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field such as math, statistics, and computer science, or equivalent years of experience.
- 5+ years of experience in data science doing quantitative analysis, and applied statistics or experimentation (i.e. A/B testing) at a technology company.
- 3+ years experience in a leadership role within a data organization.
- Experience forming partnerships with cross-functional leaders in engineering, product, design, research, etc.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with geospatial data or logistics systems (e.g., enterprise logistics, food delivery, transportation, and mobility).
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field (Economics, Computer Science, Physics).
- Proven track record in transforming data into meaningful insights and opportunities to drive growth and performance.
What You'll Get
- Competitive salary and equity incentives
- Comprehensive healthcare plans including medical, dental, and vision
- Maternity/paternity leave program
- 401k plan
- Diverse and inclusive culture
- Remote, in office, or flex work options
What’s it like to work at Dray Alliance?
We look at Dray Alliance as a constant work in progress and we live the spirit of continuous improvement. We work in a company of humble, analytical, curious people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. We’re a highly cross-functional organization and leverage these relationships and teamwork to win. Check us out on Built In LA’s 22 Startups to Watch in 2022 and how we’re modernizing America’s Freight Industry.