RoleManagement and Finance
Hi 👋 - We're Ember - an app designed to liberate millions of business owners from the burden of dealing with accounting and tax by using technology to automate the process of managing their business finances and obligations.
Since launching in 2019 - we've built a product our user's love, achieved a clear product-market fit, raised a fresh round of funding and have become one of the fastest-growing start-ups in the UK today - with over 1,500 businesses running on Ember.
Over the next nine months, we’re looking to continue this rapid growth, getting Ember into the hands of thousands more business owners. To help us get there and ensure we have the stability under the hood, we are looking for a Finance Manager to own the back office finance function.
You will work closely with the founders to run regular financial analysis scenarios, as well as deliver on month end management reporting duties.
Why this role?
Flexibility: Fully remote within the UK and EU, or you can choose to work from our London office
Personal Development: £1000 training budget and 1 dedicated training day a month
Ownership: Own the holistic finance function at Ember
Salary and Equity: £35,000 - 45,000 + Equity
- Assist the founders with the preparation of the monthly management accounts and financial forecast to ensure the company objectives
- Board pack preparation for the month-end investor update
- Cashflow analysis and forecasting - this is key to a growing business and will need careful tracking to highlight potential funding requirements
- Quarterly VAT return analysis & compliance
- Monthly payroll management - improving the process from our HRIS to Ember
- Ownership of ad hoc revenue stress testing and scenario planning analysis
- Implement and own the budgeting process across the organisation
- Ongoing receipt and invoice management - insuring accounts payable and accounts receivable reconciliation
- Ownership of the company asset register
- Implement an efficient and scaleable expense management platform
- Subscription management audit and ongoing control/maintenance
- Ownership of the EMI and unapproved options scheme centralisation
- Year end and statutory reporting requirements - you will be working closely with the customer experience team on this (who are accountants themselves)
- Ad-hoc financial support and advice for other departments
- Excellent excel skills for forecasting
- Previous practical experience within a startup finance function
- You will preferably be ACA/ACCA/CIMA qualified with practical experience and a strong academic background
- A good understanding of accounting software products in general and experience with Taxfiler is a nice to have
Share Options: Everything we do is down to our team & we believe that we should all own a part of what we're building - that's why we give equity in the company to everyone on our team.
Hybrid Working: Work where you do your best work. We have a beautiful London WeWork office that's available for anyone to use, we're also happy for you to work remotely or a bit of both.
Training Days: Everyone in the team is encouraged to take 1 day a month to spend on personal & professional development. This helps both you & Ember level up.
Learning & Education: We also provide everyone with an annual training budget of £1,000 to spend on books, courses and conferences!
Holiday: We offer 32 days of holiday a year, including bank holidays – and we encourage you to use them all!
Socials: There's an amazing camaraderie among the team and at least once a month we all like to get together and let our hair down a bit. The monthly all-hands is not one to miss!
Work from Abroad: Everyone in the team is also eligible to take up to 4 weeks a year working from abroad. Whether it's Barcelona or Berlin - you can check into the local WeWork and go about your business.
Health & Wellbeing: We offer paid sick leave for both physical & mental health.
Pension: We’ll automatically enrol you into our pension scheme with Smart Pensions. We pay 3% on top of your salary into this.
At Ember, we all share a common vision of making business easier. We move quickly, collaborate closely and trust each other to help maximise our collective impact. You can view our values in more detail here.
Inclusion & Diversity at Ember
At Ember, we celebrate and support the differences that make you, you. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We truly believe that diversity makes us better.