Senior Scientist, Military Analytics
🇺🇸 USA Only
RoleAll Other Remote
At Fors Marsh Group (FMG), we combine the power of science and strategy to improve people's lives. Each day, we work with institutions and organizations that seek to disrupt markets, understand and influence behavior, drive action on a national scale, and create positive impact. Our approach extends far beyond our client portfolio—as a certified B Corporation and a 2020 Greenbook Top 50 Market Research Company, we make a difference in our community through corporate-sponsored employee volunteer programs and pro bono partnerships with values-aligned nonprofits. Most importantly, as a 2019, 2020 and 2021 Top Workplace, we are committed to putting people first and foster a culture that reflects that commitment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we celebrate diversity and inclusivity as the foundation of a healthy, successful, and innovative work environment. Join us, and together we can work to ensure a better tomorrow
We are currently seeking an experienced researcher for a senior position on our Military Analytics team. Our Military Analytics team bridges the gap between traditional social science and data science, leveraging innovative analytic tools for research committed to improving the health and well-being of Service members and DoD personnel. We routinely synthesize diverse sources of information, including administrative, survey, and text data, distilling complex information for policy-makers and analysts.
This individual's primary responsibilities will be to provide subject matter and methodological expertise in areas such as machine learning, big data analysis, and text analysis; develop research designs; and oversee the work of multiple research teams conducting quantitative research. This individual will need to be equal parts data analyst, social scientist, and project manager. This job is best for someone who enjoys solving challenging analytic problems with a large methodological toolkit, has experience extracting insights from large data sets, and thrives in a collaborative environment.
- Applying sophisticated principles in the fields of data science and/or programming to social science research projects
- Serving as a technical lead on research projects with a data science focus
- Working with large, complex quantitative data sets to aggregate, organize, and explore data assets through a variety of techniques.
- Analyzing data and interpreting results from descriptive and inferential analyses to identify patterns and solutions. Training/applied experience with multivariate modeling, dimension reduction, and predictive analytics.
- Develop innovative, transparent, and reproducible systems to facilitate social and behavioral sciences (SBS) best practices
- Preparing technical reports, presentations, and executive summaries for analyst and non-analyst audiences, written proposals, and other internal or external communications summarizing research methods, findings, and implications.
- Managing multiple concurrent projects, including providing quality control and implementing financial controls for projects.
- Directly interfacing with team members and clients to understand their needs, manage their expectations, respond to ad hoc requests, and communicate the most pertinent results to them in a way that is useful and easy to understand.
- Managing and supporting a mixed team of analysts and researchers, including setting goals, cultivating a productive, growth-orient work environment, and team development
- Master's degree (PhD preferred) in a social science field and/or data science
- A minimum of four years of post-graduate applied experience leading research projects, preferably through the use of mixed-methods approaches
- Ability to work effectively as a team leader, team member, or independently
- Demonstrated experience writing syntax in R (additional skill in other languages such as Stata, SAS, SQL and Python desired but not required)
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse data sources, including survey, personnel, administrative, and text data.
- Demonstrated experience of machine learning algorithms (e.g., decision trees, k-means, random forests, SVM) and their practical uses and limitations
- Demonstrated experience with natural language processing techniques and interpretation of results
- Experience working with existing datasets and integrating from multiple sources (SQL experience a plus)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Willingness and ability to learn new research topic areas, methods, and analytic approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to lead high-performing research teams
- Applicants must be comfortable working with sensitive topics such as sexual assault and suicide ideations
- Applicants may be subject to a low-level government security investigation and must meet eligibility criteria for access to sensitive information
- US Citizenship required
- FMG requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to start employment, unless that person has requested and FMG has granted a medical or religious exemption during the onboarding process.
Our benefits typically meet or exceed our competitors' packages. Ways we are unique?
- Top-tier health, dental, vision, and long and short-term disability coverage all covered at 100% for employee coverage
- Remote work
- Our company culture, which values balance. We work around our personal realities while always accomplishing what's expected of us
- We provide a Personalized PTO Program designed to make sure that employees take the leave they need when they need it.
- Generous matching retirement contributions and no vesting period in your third month of employment
- Dedicated training and development budgets to expand your expertise and grow your skillset
- You can volunteer your way with paid time off
- You can participate in FMG staff-led affinity groups
- Our employees receive product and service discounts through the certified B Corp network