Product Manager (Cloud Platform)
UTC-8 to UTC+2
Want to shape the future of a growing, disruptive Cloud platform?
The web is a critical resource for all of humanity in the 21st century. Gatsby makes creating for the web dramatically better by making creating novel experiences easier -- shortening the time to try experiments, collaborate around changes, and to deploy incremental improvements. Gatsby has quickly grown to be one of the biggest and most exciting open source projects on the web, with almost 100,000 developers using Gatsby every month.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include transparency (we work in public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
- Type of work: Full time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+2)
Here at Gatsby, the teams supporting our Cloud product have had a successful year of launches. We started 2021 with a few point solutions for running CI/CD builds as well as content previews. Today, we offer a full end-to-end solution for shipping Gatsby sites including a CDN and serverless functions.
However, we’re still growing as a business and have a lot to do to make that platform even more compelling to the market. We need to double down on the things that are delighting our customers. We need to make our Cloud product even stickier, while also recognizing that modern CI/CD tools are oftentimes embedded and experienced in other mediums (email, GitHub comments, Slackbots, etc).
We need a product manager that can think in terms of ownership of the platform, providing insight to their engineering and design partners about what solutions we need to improve, what new features we might consider, and what jobs our customers are trying to get done with our tools.
- Determine what gets built and delivered to customers. You’ll acquire, as quickly as possible, deep knowledge of the customer, of the data, of internal stakeholders, and of the market and industry. Your job is to see the forest and the trees clearly enough to identify the product paths through it.
- Work directly with engineers to build exceptional products. You will lead the product development process from roadmap development to building, testing, and launching products on time.
- Balance the business needs and technical constraints by navigating bottlenecks, providing escalation management, and anticipating trade-offs.
- Work with product marketing to position Gatsby Cloud’s features. Positioning will be crucial in making Gatsby Cloud and therefore the Gatsby framework a clear choice for headless content projects on the web.
- Balance multiple personas. You’ll be responsible for building for a number of different personas that are using Gatsby (content creator & editors, other marketers, execs, agencies) & will need to balance their needs and priorities.
- Advocate for the customer by being a champion for the user experience and having deep customer empathy.
You’ll need to hit the ground running, which means experience getting your head around these aspects as quickly as possible.
- Launched products successfully as a PM in a startup environment. We’re iterating rapidly on a number of fronts, and tend to optimize for quickly getting product in the hands of users (and receiving feedback) over Platonic feature-completeness.
- Familiarity with SaaS Platforms and Infrastructure. A large part of what you’re doing is building and improving a rock-solid CI/CD platform with an integrated CDN that is best in class for Gatsby developers. Understanding infrastructure and the core job being done by developers and content editors when they initiate builds is key to success.
- Familiarity with the developer persona. The developer persona is at the heart of the Gatsby experience, including the Gatsby CLI and suite of related tools (GraphQL, hot reloading environment, etc). Comfort with technical details is paramount — bonus points for specific knowledge about front-end development and/or CI/CD pipelines.
- Great judgment. You will need to consistently manage tradeoffs and evaluate new ideas. These decisions often have a vast impact. As Amazon puts it, “leaders are right. A lot.”
- Write, speak, and think clearly. Gatsby is a distributed company and relies heavily on crisp and thorough writing. Your ability to get the right feedback and align the company will rely heavily on thoughtful synthesis of internal and external conversations and strategic planning into product documents, and clear communication to all stakeholders.
- Leverage metrics to focus on value. You have experience using data and metrics to back up assumptions and assertions of business value. You also leverage your strong analytical skills and ability to dive deep to develop a nuanced understanding of your product and customers, and to create effective strategies.
- Comfortable owning entire products. You will be managing a large part of Gatsby’s commercial product. As a product-driven company, a large proportion of whether we hit our annual revenue targets will be whether we’re able to ship enough value to our company.
- High level of curiosity. The web is an incredibly diverse place with a huge number of different communities. You’re fascinated to learn about the challenges, workflows, and hopes and dreams of a wide variety of people.
- Trustworthiness. A great product manager is trusted deeply by the engineering team. Tech leads and engineering ICs feel comfortable DM-ing their product manager at any time when they run across product questions in their day-to-day work, because they can count on getting accurate, thoughtful, helpful context.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. If you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
- Your role will be key in making Gatsby the next way to build on the web—and a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
- You’ll have an opportunity to contribute to an early stage start-up. Still a relatively small team, Gatsby provides product managers the opportunity to have tremendous impact across the organization: directly with design and engineering but also alongside marketing and sales. Everyone’s contributions matter at this stage and maybe no one's more than the product team.
- You get to interact with an active, open, friendly community of developers that are really excited about building high-performance, fun-to-use websites. Their energy is often infectious, and you will leave conversations with them even more excited about Gatsby.
- This role involves a demanding audience with many options. We’re building a tool for an audience that has a high degree of context about the tool we’re building and have a plethora of options that they could choose instead of our commercial offering.
- You will need to ruthlessly prioritize your workflow. Because our user audience is so diverse, there’s a huge amount of potential things to do at any time. You’ll need to be comfortable with thoughtfully choosing where to focus and communicating that.
- Stakeholders are dispersed far and wide. The largest clustering of people in one place is 5 folks in our Berkeley office. We have a strong sense of identity and are very close, but if in-person interactions with a large number of people is important to you then this may not be a good fit.
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Skip the commute with remote work
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Gatsby Sabbatical: 4 weeks paid vacation after 4 years tenure
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.