Remote Contract Front End Ecommerce Developer
Anywhere in the World
We're looking to grow our development team with a contract developer with experience in e-commerce. We hope that's you!
- Location: Remote. Must overlap 3+ working hours with Pacific Time.
- Type: Contract
- Experience: 3+ years of experience
- Compensation: DOE
We're looking for a part-time front end developer to work with us and our brand-focused Shopify and Shopify Plus clients. To start, we need approximately 16 - 32 hours of work a week. There is the potential for the number of hours available to increase if we enjoy working together and find we're good partners.
You'll be working with 3 senior-level and 2 other mid-level developers.
Here's the type of work you'll be taking on:
- Developing custom themes using Shopify's Liquid templating language.
- Maintaining and building new features for our clients' storefronts.
- Using a mix of React (or Vue) and plain JS to build complex components embedded in e-commerce storefronts.
- Building client/server communication using GraphQL and REST APIs.
- Integrating Shopify storefronts and backends with 3rd party APIs.
- Implementing pixel-perfect responsive pages from Figma designs.
You're proficient in the following technologies and approaches:
- Modern cross-browser languages: HTML5+, ES6+ and CSS3+
- Liquid (Shopify's templating language)
- Standard Git/Github developer workflows. You should be comfortable with standard Git operations, Github Flow, and be comfortable submitting and reviewing PRs.
- Create smooth interactions, transitions, and animations.
Other non-technical requirements:
- Excellent communication skills. We're a distributed team. Excellent written communication is key to making our partnership effective. We review each other's code via pull requests, manage tasks and provide updates on Asana, and communicate in real-time via Slack. Check out our approach for remote / asynchronous communication.
- Meticulous attention to detail. On the off chance you get an assignment that's light on details, be sure to follow up and get clarity on any unknowns before building something incomplete.
Bonus points (but not required) for experience with the following:
- Shopify in general (understanding the ins and outs of theme development, deployment workflows, APIs & limitations, etc)
- Automated testing using tools like Jest and Cypress
- Experience building Shopify Plus storefronts
- Experience with Netlify or Vercel
- Experience with headless storefronts and CMS integrations
Gray Bike is a small digital product studio. We provide end-to-end product design and development services for a variety of clients. Our clients span across several industries: civic tech, e-commerce, home goods, apparel, educational non-profits, healthcare, manufacturing, cycling, and more.
We value good design, quality code, and pragmatic decision-making when it comes to delivering software. We are always trying to learn from each other and value a kind, supportive, and courteous attitude towards everyone!
Why work with us?
All project leaders have technical backgrounds and we work extra hard to try and make sure tasks and projects are very clearly defined by the time they get to you. If there's ambiguity, we will always clarify directly with the end client before passing the work along.
Our collaborators like working with us because:
- We'll find the work for you and keep your pipeline full.
- We only take on projects with reasonable timelines.
- You can set your own schedule as long as you clearly communicate it to us.
- We advocate for a thoughtful work-life balance. We strongly discourage our collaborators from working nights or weekends (unless that's when they prefer to work).
- We avoid excessive meetings. Ideally, we communicate asynchronously and via Slack wherever possible.
- We'll do the legwork of scoping projects, reducing complexity, and clarifying ambiguity in requirements. We work hard to only hand you projects that are crystal clear and immediately actionable.
- We handle all the annoying business stuff so you can focus on what you do best.
Our team's goal is to be inclusive to all collaborators, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion (or lack thereof).
You can apply using the button below. Please include the following in your cover letter:
- Your portfolio.
- Your GitHub username and any projects you'd like to share.
- A note about why you think you'd be a good fit.
- The phrase "I like bikes" so we know you've read through the full job description.