Remote Software Engineer, Data
Time zones: EST (UTC -5), CST (UTC -6), MST (UTC -7), PST (UTC -8), AKST (UTC -9), HST (UTC -10)
What you'll be doing
- This is a hands-on coding position. In this role, you will primarily be writing code to manipulate sensitive health claims data.
- We will look to your expertise to help us utilize this data in novel ways that tell stories in the data and answer critical questions for various stakeholders
- You will work with our other engineers, analysts, and data scientists to improve our overall data-processing architecture.
- Collaborate with other stakeholders to extend data processes to support business needs.
- Develop reusable frameworks and processes for serving the entire industry.
What we're looking for
- Proficient in at least one programming language, ideally Java and/or Ruby. You should be comfortable designing and coding complex systems independently.
- Comfortable working with PostgreSQL. You should be proficient with SQL and/or a popular ORM.
- Experienced at building secure REST APIs. You should be knowledgeable about API design topics, as well as the important details to manage during implementation.
- Some familiarity with AWS (in particular at least RDS and Lambda).
- Tableau experience is beneficial but not required.
- Solution-oriented curiosity, creativity and persistence. Our clients bring us their challenges and we bring our collective knowledge to bear to identify solutions that will work in a changing industry.
- Do you derive immense satisfaction from synthesizing information and ideas to craft new solutions to problems you're presented with? Do unresolved issues both frustrate and motivate you?
- Personal discipline, time management and technology skills to work remotely as part of a fast-paced, inter-connected team.
- Are you a natural goal-setter and enjoy just putting your head down and making things happen?
- Excellence in interpersonal communications and relationship building.
- Are you someone that people want to talk to on the regular?
- Gain energy from being in the midst of uncertainty in early stage companies and the opportunity that comes with it.
- Does flexing to help cover a variety of roles as needed sound like a grand adventure?
- Strong, personal commitment to transforming our health care system so it works better for everyone.
- What is your personal story (fire in the belly) for fixing the health care system?
Measures of success
- Success at independently shipping data pipeline updates.
- Design and implementation of data pipeline monitoring.
- Successful collaboration with other developers to ship REST APIs to expose sensitive data internally.
- Thoughtful contributions to overall data strategy
- 5+ years' experience as a professional software engineer using Java or Ruby
- 5+ years' experience using PostgreSQL or another relational database
- 2+ years' experience with AWS
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- US citizen or permanent resident located in the United States
- $100,000 - $120,000 annual salary depending on experience and ability
- 20% bonus potential based on achievement of corporate objectives
- Health benefits available
- Premiums 75% covered by Health Rosetta
- Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will prioritize applications where the cover letter includes 2-5 sentence answers to each of the questions in the "What we're looking for" section of this job description.
We strive to create an equitable and just workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels safe and supported to bring their full, authentic selves. Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles of Health Rosetta, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, family status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds including BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) folks, people who are LGBTQIA+, and people with disabilities to apply and join us in our work.