Deputy Editor, Her Campus
RoleSales and Marketing
Her Campus Media is the #1 media portfolio for college students and Gen Z. Our brands -- Her Campus, Spoon University, College Fashionista, InfluenceHer Collective, and Generation Hired -- reach an audience of over 130 million social followers and 19 million monthly unique users, and count more than 50,000 influencers and student ambassadors at 1,800 colleges in our global network. Whether through content, resources, events, or other experiences, our mission is to support, celebrate, inspire, amplify, and equip Gen Z to realize their dreams as individuals and for society. We also power full-service, integrated marketing programs for the world’s top brands, who partner with us to create authentic, meaningful connections with our audience.
Her Campus Media is made up of passionate, entrepreneurial, ambitious doers who are fired up about cultivating the next generation of leaders and changemakers. We are a small but mighty team of individuals, most of whom identify as women, committed to continuing to build a dynamic and inclusive organization where we want to work. Visit our Careers page to learn more about our culture and what makes us tick at hercampusmedia.com/careers!
*This role can be held remotely.*
Her Campus Media is seeking a thoughtful, innovative, growth-minded, Gen Z-obsessed editorial leader to join our team fulltime as the site lead overseeing Her Campus. In this role as the editorial leader for the Her Campus brand, you will help to define the Her Campus editorial brand and voice, oversee all HerCampus.com national editorial content, manage the Her Campus editorial team, grow traffic and engagement, execute special editorial projects, work collaboratively across other departments, and continually innovate on and implement processes and practices to ensure smooth editorial operations. We are looking for someone with top-notch editing skills and news judgment who is adept at managing other editors, capable of taking big editorial projects and packages from ideation through execution, and is also comfortable with (and enjoys) traffic analysis and making data-driven decisions to drive growth. This is an ideal opportunity for a creative, organized self-starter who is passionate about Gen Z and excited to take on a leadership and management role leading a team and helming a top Gen Z media brand. Most importantly, candidates must be driven by Her Campus's mission of serving college women and serving as a career launching pad for the nation's top student journalists.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversight of all national content and content operations on HerCampus.com
- Work closely with writers and editors, assigning, directing and editing stories as well as tracking progress
- Concept, oversee, and execute large-scale editorial projects and packages
- Collaborate with Community team to assist campus chapters in creating strong content at scale
- Through your work, drive traffic, engagement, and brand perception, balancing among these objectives
- Develop new sellable editorial opportunities for clients, in concert with business development and integrated marketing teams
- Develop Her Campus voice and brand, helping to drive significant growth and engagement across traffic, social, and email, via a data-driven approach
- Serve as brand lead and work cross-functionally with key company stakeholders across events, design, sales, community, product & engineering, legal, and more
We believe the following will set you up for success in this role. If you don't have all of these qualifications, please still consider applying and tell us more about what makes you a great candidate for this role! We value unique perspectives, approaches and backgrounds.
- Bachelor's degree (or other college degree) preferred
- 5-7+ years of full-time editorial/social media experience, preferably in Gen Z/women's digital media
- 2+ years management experience
- Strong understanding of the Her Campus brand and program; previous involvement with Her Campus a plus
- Proven record of achieving and surpassing traffic goals
- Ability and interest to work collaboratively with other departments such as sales & marketing, product & engineering, events, community, and design
- Superb writing and editing skills
- Thorough command of traffic analytics and associated tools
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Command of e-commerce affiliate content best practices
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Quick and efficient worker with ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to function autonomously and complete projects and tasks without close management and supervision
- Self-starter with go-getter attitude, positive and upbeat nature, and excellent work ethic who doesn’t mind getting their hands dirty and is excited about working in a start-up environment
- Passion for Her Campus, our mission, our audience of college women, and the job of serving as the brand’s editorial lead, growing our traffic, elevating our brand, and leading our team of editors
Benefits & Perks
Eligibility for performance bonuses
Choice among six health insurance plans
Dental and vision insurance
401k retirement savings plan with company matching
Unlimited PTO and flexibility to work remotely
Extremely generous company holiday policy, with 16+ paid holidays annually including 2 floating holidays
Highly parent-friendly culture, including 12 full weeks of parental leave plus additional 4 weeks of part-time parental leave, all fully paid
FSA and HSA offered
Optional short-term and long-term disability insurance
Free One Medical membership offering same-day primary care over video or in person
Free Talkspace membership providing mental health services
Free Health Advocate services to help navigate the healthcare system
Dog-friendly office (if in Boston)
Interview Process & Expectations
To apply, click the “I’m interested” button to upload your resume and submit a cover letter.
Our timeline is to make a hire ASAP. You can expect approx. 4-5 rounds of interviews, including an initial phone screen and interviews with the VP, Content, edit and social team members, team members you would collaborate closely with from other departments, and co-founder & CEO/editor-in-chief. You will also be asked to complete a work product test.
Please refer to our Interview Prep Guide (hercampusmedia.com/careers/interview-prep) for a general overview of our hiring and interview process and what we look for in applications.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.