Data Scientist (Mid/Senior)
RoleAll Other Remote
We are honu.ai, a venture-backed startup building a unique platform that will give small business owners worldwide superhuman decision-making capabilities. We are currently in stealth mode and have raised a seven-figure pre-seed round from a fantastic roster of investors, who are early backers of TransferWise, Tide, Coinbase, CityMapper, Cazoo, Nested, Habito, Cleo, King, and Snyk. We have also just secured a Smart Grant from the InnovationUK fund.
The technology we are building is novel and we will be pushing the boundaries of what has been done in this space. The founder is ex-Goldman Sachs, and ex-Facebook, a second-time entrepreneur with a background in robotics and neuroscience. This is a unique opportunity to join a highly ambitious, venture-backed company, on the ground floor. We are London based and remote-first.
Today we are a team of ten; we are seeking exceptional technologists who have experience designing and building complex products and deploying them at scale. We're taking a revolutionary approach and people who bring a diversity of experience and a track record of creative solutions are particularly welcome.
We are seeking a full-stack Data Scientist with strong foundations in numerical methods, ML, and statistical techniques - who has experience being part of the initial data team in a startup. You will be one of the first data science hires in the company and be part of the core team of 10 building the first iteration of a unique product.
- Work closely with the Founder and the wider tech team to build the various intelligent components of the platform
- Solve a diverse range of problems that cover a wide spectrum of complexity
- Contribute to building the data infrastructure, working alongside a team of engineers
- Approach tasks with pragmatism, using sound judgement and an 80/20 approach in a rapidly evolving environment
- Be embedded in multiple areas of the business; as a member of the core team you will also be expected to become well-versed in the business context, understand our clients, and the problem space, and then translate them into impactful solutions
- You're an impact driven, product-centric data scientist
- Ideally you possess experience across diverse sectors; eCommerce, MarTech, Decision Intelligence or FinTech would be a big plus, alternatively, it would also be beneficial to have been a part of scaling a B2C product
- You are experienced in building models (i.e. forecasting to predict customer behaviour) as well as, ideally, deploying them into production
- You're a strong systems thinker able to see the bigger picture
- You possess extensive technical proficiency in Python and are comfortable with a range of libraries including Pandas, scikit, NumPy etc. as well as PyTorch/ TensorFlow and, ideally, cloud-based architecture (AWS/GCP/Azure etc.)
- You understand the applied side of data science with 3+ years of industry work experience and at least 1 of those in a startup
- You've worked closely with data engineering and have been involved in building ETL pipelines from scratch
- You should be able to operate autonomously, to a large degree, whilst knowing you have the support of engineers when needed
- You have experience connecting systems to external APIs in order to ingest third-party data
- You value honest feedback and creating an environment where it flourishes
- You're comfortably organised amongst the chaos
Our initial stack is Python centric with some ancillary GoLang services for the backend, React / Typescript on the front end, and we are running on AWS. We have a pragmatic, non-dogmatic approach and will refine the tech stack, finding the right tools for the job, as the product evolves. Scientific computing will be mostly implemented in Python, for now.
- Introductory phone call with our Recruiter (30 mins)
- Technical screening call with the Founder (30 mins)
- Technical assessment
- Meet the team (30 minutes x 3 interviews)
- Chat with Founder (30 mins)
We are a young business with a huge amount of evolution to come. Alongside a salary of between £60K - £90K, we are able to offer:
- Competitive stock options package (between 0 - 0.5%)
- Remote first working policy
- Regular company offsites
We are growing fast and will be sure to respect your time and expectations each step of the way. We embrace diversity in all forms and are dedicated to building an inclusive, equitable environment for all people to do their best work with us.
We're an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status. If there are any suitable adjustments that can be made to ensure a smooth interview process, please do let us know.