Head of Software Engineering, Cardano
RoleFull Stack Programming
IO Global (IOG) is searching for a Head of Software Engineering to lead all technical aspects of the Cardano project. Cardano is an advanced proof-of-stake blockchain built on strong research principles to produce a high-quality, high-assurance distributed system. It takes advantage of advanced lightweight formal methods to deliver a decentralized blockchain that has real-time, high-reliability characteristics. The product has been delivered in a series of stages (hard forks) that fulfill specific high-level requirements for a 3rd generation blockchain. The challenge is to complete the core set of requirements so that the project can be transitioned to an open source development model as part of an open governance process.
The team comprises a number of highly motivated, highly skilled designers, software developers, test engineers, and others, organized into specialist groups that focus on specific aspects of the system design. This role involves managing those teams to successfully deliver ongoing and future user requirements while ensuring a successful transition to the new open source processes and mechanisms. It also involves interacting with other teams within IOG, including those developing the new governance mechanisms, blockchain wallets, sidechains, smart contracts, DApps, sharding, and other core technologies, while ensuring that core user and stakeholder requirements are met.
- Manage the Cardano software engineering teams
- Ensure the technical feasibility of the Cardano project
- Assist the Product team in ensuring software meets business requirements
- Propose and negotiate project requirements with the Product Owners
- Ensure the delivery of products as defined and in time in line with business objectives
- Contribute technical and systems design expertise to assist in the architectural design, development, implementation, and testing of Cardano software
- Contribute to architectural decisions and the design of solutions to resolve challenging problems
- Determine and define clear deliverables, roles, and responsibilities for team members required for specific projects or initiatives, working closely with software engineers, QA, product managers, and other engineering teams to produce high-quality products and features through the software project lifecycle (build, test, and release on time)
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing best practices and performing code reviews for the software development team
- Follow appropriate coding standards
- Work closely with the Product Management, Project Management, Site Reliability Engineers, and Executive teams to deliver the product roadmap
- Identify the staffing and resourcing requirements that are needed to achieve delivery goals, and guide budget owners to allocate resources effectively
- Monitor the progress and performance of projects to ensure timely and effective delivery.
- Engineering Graduate or PhD degree
- 10+ years experience in the software industry
- 5+ years experience in managing software development teams
- 5+ years experience with functional programming
- 3+ years experience in managing managers
- Experience working with remote teams
- Experience in coaching teams through agile method and organizational changes
- Proven experience in people management
- Proven experience in strategic planning
- Experience mentoring, coaching, and developing rising talent in the technology department
- Experience working in globally distributed teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills so as to be able to relate with people from diverse backgrounds or personnel from different units of the company.
IOG is a fully distributed organization and therefore this is a remote position. Due to team distribution we are ideally searching for someone in an European timezone.
- Flexible schedule
- Remote work - ability to work anywhere
- Laptop reimbursement
- New starter package to buy hardware essentials (headphones, monitor, etc)
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Competitive PTO and Sick Leave plan
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits coverage through Anthem with 100% premium cost covered by IO Global for the employee and dependents
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance
- Monthly Health Stipend to use towards any wellness or medical coverage/service