Head of People
RoleAll Other Remote
Legl is a fast-growing, vertical B2B SaaS platform with a mission to bring the legal industry into the 21st century. We just closed our $18M Series B (May 2022), and we are scaling quickly on our next phase of growth.
Our vision is to be part of a structural change in the legal industry so that firms, as well as their clients, have a better experience of accessing legal services. We launched in October 2019 and in the short time since then have acquired over 170+ law firm clients.
We have an agile, ambitious and collaborative team, deep experience across design, tech and the industry, and we put our employees first. We’re looking for people who can grow with us.
Our core values are agility, ambition, and collaboration. We rely heavily on data and first principles decision-making.
We’re hiring for an exceptional Head of People to establish our People function and enable the next stage of our growth. We see our team as the absolute core of our business success to date, and we are looking for a leader who can help us scale (and improve upon!) the agile, ambitious, collaborative culture we’ve built to date. This role will report directly to the CEO and will work closely with the CFO as well, alongside the entire executive team, our talent team and other key ICs across the business, to build out our People strategy, and to execute on the initiatives that drive great business outcomes.
- Translating business objectives into People initiatives. We’re looking for someone who can work backwards from first principles to understand what our strategy is, what the culture is, where we’re going – and translate that into the most important People initiatives.
- Examples of projects we’d imagine you’d be working on:
- Performance management and feedback culture – how can we improve upon existing performance review and management frameworks
- Meeting culture – how can our meetings be most effective and how can we avoid Zoom fatigue and still foster great intercompany comms
- The employee lifecycle – from onboarding to retention, how do we create advocates and open channels of communication
- Diversity and inclusion – how do we take a structured, outcomes-driven approach to diversity and inclusion
- Employer branding – our team loves us, why are we a secret?! And what can we do better?
- Thinking about remote-first, and how to enable everyone to do their best work whether they want to be fully remote, or part-time in an office.
- Offsites – twice a year! Thinking and planning around what are they for? Who are they for? What does success look like?
- Employee benefits – the how, the what, the why!
- Communication – how do we scale comms, and communicate key business outcomes and messages to the company so that everyone has what they need, when they need it.
- The list goes on! There are a lot of ways to have a big impact in this role in a company of our size, and we’d lean on you to identify initiatives, drive them, create clear outcomes and execute on them.
- HR business partner. You’ll provide high level people, policy and management support across the business, supporting our finance, legal and operations teams.
How would we describe success?
Success in this role after 6 months looks like:
- You’re a key thought partner to the CEO and exec team on rolling out key strategic initiatives to drive and scale our business, team and culture; and able to tackle ad hoc things as they arise without missing a beat
- You have hard and soft success criteria for each initiative, and you’re able to show what has worked, what hasn’t worked, and what we’ve learned
- You have a roadmap for the year ahead – a great startup mix of what you want to achieve and an openness to move off the path when needs must
- Led the scaling of a ‘People’ function across a stage start-up/scale-up, with a strong knowledge of the challenges faced as the organisation grows.
- Passionate about embedding a positive organisational culture, both with company strategy and employee wellness in mind.
- Naturally outcomes-led in your approach to crafting People initiatives and strategies.
- Personal alignment with our values (Ambition, Agility, Collaboration) is central to all we’ve achieved at Legl, and it’s essential our Head of People represents all that we are to truly allow us to expand from a People perspective.
- Legl has a dynamic, remote-first culture, with a focus on making work work for you. We give generous budgets for home set-ups, co-working space use if you need or want it and access to office spaces for collaboration in person, no matter where you live. (We are planning to get a permanent “hub” in London, from mid- to end-September).
- Twice-annual offsites to get to socialise with your colleagues in person.
- Competitive salary and share options: we all share in Legl’s success
- Opportunity to join a well-funded, post-Series B startup in our mission to make legal services better for everyone
- High impact work that really matters - success in this role will drive our growth and have a big impact on the business and our clients
- A focus on wellbeing with access to support sessions with a psychotherapist and a personal wellbeing budget of £250 per year
- A learning and development budget of £1000 per year
We believe that having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.