Backend Software Engineer
🇺🇸 USA Only
Who we are:
We here at Littera are on a mission to help students connect with tutors. We are the first software platform designed to help K-12 schools and districts design, deliver, and monitor their tutoring programs. Our team is rapidly growing and we're looking for people wanting to get engaged in solving tough problems. Are you up for the challenge? Then come join us. This role is working in an Agile team environment where you'll participate in the full software development lifecycle. This involves working with business stakeholders to refine their ideas, coding, testing, and delivering reliable software that delights our customers.
Director of Engineering
This role will be working on our core backend APIs that govern our student, tutor, and tutoring session data. These services are critical for the success of creating a stable and reliable experience for customers. Team members are comfortable with change and taking calculated risks, but most importantly, take ownership of outcomes. Collaboration and transparency is key and respect is given to all ideas.
Our team strongly values:
- Continuously learning new best practices, processes, technologies, and languages.
- Mentoring, coaching, and pair programming with different people in many situations.
- Commit to completing well-defined work and deliver on those commitments.
- Help break down, estimate, and provide just-in-time design for small increments of work.
- Test solutions with the utmost scrutiny at the unit, integration, and end-to-end levels.
- Security is taken seriously and protecting student and tutor data is thought about in every aspect of the SDLC.
- Ensure we are providing the best possible levels of customer service through identifying and implementing process improvements.
- 3+ years of software development experience using Java, preferably with Spring.
- Knowledge of and desire to work in an Agile/Lean development environment.
- Ability to test-drive clean, quality code, and work closely with other Agile team members.
- Technical leadership experience or a desire to be one.
- Strong design understanding of cloud based applications.
- Strong understanding of HTTP/REST/API architectures.
- Solid understanding of application and enterprise design patterns.
- Understanding of the full SDLC.
- Testing knowledge and a keen eye for edge cases.
- Help drive tasks to completion.
- Coach and mentor fellow team members to expand and improve their skill sets.
- Ability to perform root cause analysis, technology evaluations, and design spikes.
- Enthusiasm to learn and grow.
- Resourceful self-starter with creative problem-solving skills who’s willing to take ownership of results.
- Desire to join a mission-driven team with a passion for improving education and making sure all students get the help they need to succeed.
If you see yourself succeeding here, please apply! If you have most of the above, but not all, still apply, we want to hear from you! We value more than just checking boxes.
Littera’s Core Values:
- We say what we mean, honestly and directly.
- We figure it out and solve problems with the resources available.
- We do what we promise and own the results.
- We maniacally focus on our customers, striving to understand their needs and support them.
- We celebrate the inherent differences across our customers, users, and team and commit to creating an inclusive environment.
Hours of work:
We're a remote first company that works typical Monday through Friday hours. Since we like to get together, we ask that you'll be flexible for travel up to 5% for team events.
Salary range (90k - 160k based on experience)
Health, Dental, Vision
Equity in the company
Paid Parental Leave