Senior DevOps Engineer
DescriptionMagic is an early stage, fast-growing contender to transform the antiquated user identity space by eliminating the need for passwords, with backing from top investors such as Tiger Global, Lightspeed Ventures, SV Angel, Social Capital, Northzone, Placeholder, Naval Ravikant, Alexis Ohanian, Ryan Hoover, and Balaji Srinivasan. Our mission is to safeguard the trust between users and Internet services by establishing a secure and authentic digital identity.
Magic's vision is to build the passport of the internet. We are looking for team members who are not afraid to push beyond the status quo and create the most straightforward, most secure, and most long-term sustainable identity solution for app developers and end-users. This is a unique opportunity to help us disrupt the world of authentication.
We are seeking an experienced, enthusiastic Senior DevOps Engineer to join the growing Infrastructure team at Magic. The ideal candidate has the aptitude and passion to become a master of Magic’s product capabilities and underlying technologies. As a Senior DevOps Engineer At Magic, you'll spearhead and partner with amazing engineers, while taking complete ownership of your work. You will flow seamlessly between building out solutions to improving deployment processes, operations procedures and system metrics tracking to building out core backend systems, kick-ass features, and intuitive/performant APIs. We need a high-performing engineering consultant to help our customers improve their software delivery. This person will solve challenges with many different technologies and work closely with our customers, as well as Magic’s internal departments.
Magic fully operates in a public cloud environment (AWS). We heavily adopt infrastructure-as-code (IaC) philosophy. We believe in automating infrastructure and operations to scale. System imperfections, and inefficiencies is the Bane to your Batman, and pragmatism is your north star.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
- Provide solutions to customer challenges: The primary responsibility of this role is to understand the goals of our customers and to help them create solutions. Success in this role is marked by a strong focus on the customer and solving customer challenges. You will learn the customers' pain points and work collaboratively with the customer, Magic team members, and potentially the open-source community to find solutions.
- Own the architecture and development of system components to improve monitoring, alerting and stability with compliance and security in mind.
- Build upon the foundation of the existing infrastructure to support and enhance the productivity of the entire engineering team in San Francisco, Denver and Toronto
- Collaborate with other engineers to optimize CI/CD pipelines
- Ensure we are on the cutting edge features in the public cloud (AWS, GCP & Cloudflare are a plus)
- Develop internal SLOs and SLIs to drive system reliability and to support external SLAs
- Design and build backend systems that powers the Magic experience
- Building and improving our APIs so that they are as scalable, performant, intuitive as can be
- 6-8 years of DevOps experience working in a public cloud environment (Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, or Microsoft Azure, CloudFlare)
- Expert in containerization technologies (K8s and Docker)
- Experience in building and implementing CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins, Circle CI, Travis CI, AWS codePipeline/codeBuild or similar
- Hands-on DevOps experience in the production environment with deep knowledge of modern SRE skills and concepts (Monitoring, SLAs, Observability, Automation, etc.)
- Production experience in system design, networking and virtual cloud implementation
- Production experience with Hashicorp products (Terraform, Vault, etc.)
- Production experience with ansible.
- Proficient in shell scripting and Python or Go
- Have experience in blockchain node management (Ethereum, Bitcoin and similar)
- Experience in Linux/Unix system administration
- Experience in monitoring tools (Splunk, Datadog, Prometheus, Grafana.)
- Have worked with serverless stack (FaaS)
- Have a startup personality and mentality: smart, hardworking, productive, team player, integrity, can execute under pressure
Technologies that we are currently using include React, Python, MySQL, Redis, Docker, K8s (EKS), AWS, HashiCorp (Vault/Terraform), etc. We are deeply driven by the agile development principles. We are looking for people who share the same philosophy, perform under pressure and are comfortable with frequent change requests.
Magic is fully remote, though we would prefer this role specifically to be in a timezone where we can have more hours overlap with the North American team members due to the need for frequent communication and collaboration. #LI-Remote
At Magic, we're looking for team players with passion, empathy, perseverance, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply to this position, even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your talent and merits will stand out. At Magic, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren't afraid to challenge assumptions and the status-quo.