🇺🇸 USA Only
RoleAll Other Remote
MasteryPrep helps low-income, first-generation students prepare for the ACT, SAT, TSIA2, and End of Course exams. The Academic Product Development team is dedicated to reaching the largest population of students by providing both an accessible path to content mastery as well as authentic testing experiences. We have created the happy problem where there are more freelance contractors and content than one person can manage.
We are seeking a talented Assistant Editor who can support the quality control stage through test analysis and communication with freelance proofreaders and subject matter experts. The Assistant Editor will work in close proximity with the Senior Editor and will report to the Chief Academic Officer.
We believe the best way to maintain a successful work environment is through the inclusion of employees from diverse backgrounds, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and experiences.
The ideal candidate would be aligned to MasteryPrep’s core values:
- Go pro. Or go home. Get better than the best.
- Do right. Period.
- Make it happen. Excuses never built anything.
- Make it awesome. There is no equality without quality.
- Customers are forever. This company is for them.
About the Role
As Assistant Editor, you will supervise content as it enters the quality control stage and manage a contractor pool. There are always new projects and incoming work, and the Development team is always looking for ways to be more efficient and effective in producing high-quality content. Therefore, it is essential that you are adaptable, team-focused, and able to task switch.
You will be responsible for—but not limited to—the following:
- Tracking the general progression of quality control assignments across all projects and alerting the Senior Editor when content is delayed in the production pipeline
- Coordinating assignments with contractors, including managing deadlines and pay, as well as responding to in-the-moment requests from contractors
- Reviewing submitted assignments by using style guides and exemplar tests to determine whether changes should be accepted, rejected, or returned to the writing team for further review and revision
- Maintaining consistency in how content is presented or discussed according to in-house style guides
- Attending regularly held remote meetings using camera and microphone, including daily huddles and weekly, monthly, and quarterly planning sessions
- Excellent communication skills
- Prioritization and delegation
- Attention to detail
- Technological prowess
- Willingness to learn and try new processes
- Receptivity to feedback
- You prioritize which projects need more attention (whether assigning or reviewing) and relegate email and chat notifications to be minimally disruptive to work.
- You discern whether a suggested change is more aesthetic or is necessary to improve fidelity to the exemplar test.
- You keep detailed reports on the status of quality control for all active projects and detect where deadlines are at risk.
- You constantly strive to build an inclusive, supportive, and positive work environment.
- You receive exemplary performance reviews from leadership and positive employee feedback.
- 3+ years of editing or publishing experience
- A background in test prep is preferred but not required
- Dedicated remote workspace with stable internet, webcam, and microphone
- Experience using Dropbox, Adobe Acrobat, Slack, and Microsoft and Google ecosystems
- Experience with management software (Asana, Trello, Gitlab, Jira, etc.) is a plus
- $40,000 starting salary with room to grow
- Employee benefits eligibility (health, disability, AD&D, life insurance)
- Optional dental and vision coverage
- Matching 401k
- Paid Time Off
- Ability to work fully remote
MasteryPrep partners with over 1,000 schools and districts every year to serve over 300,000 students who would otherwise lack access to premium test prep. Join an innovative team that is helping thousands of students on their road to college.