Accountant / Billing Specialist
🇺🇸 USA Only
Merit’s verified identity ecosystem helps trusted organizations across government and enterprise solve critical real-world problems in workforce development, emergency services, licensing, education, defense readiness, and other sectors. Thousands of trusted organizations - including government agencies and nonprofits - use Merit for digital verification of credentials, licenses, training, and skills.
Using Merit, organizations can capture and certify people-data in containers called merits, and permission them to individuals. All of an individual’s merits are stored in one place, providing people agency over their verified data, giving people secure access and selective sharing with other organizations.
By connecting organizations and individuals, the Merit Platform supports a robust verified identity network that serves as a source of truth and trust for entire industries; bringing visibility, liquidity, and trust to people’s data.
Merit has been widely adopted and used by numerous organizations:
-The Florida Division of Emergency Management partnered with Merit to provide a fast, secure, paperless solution for the verification and time-tracking of thousands of volunteers and paid medical professionals assisting with the statewide COVID-19 vaccination efforts. As a result of our work together, FDEM was named a StateScoop 50
Award winner for the State IT Innovation of the Year.
-BARBICIDE® partnered with Merit to provide digital credentials to beauty professionals worldwide, exceeding two million digital, portable, shareable BARBICIDE® merits sent to date through Merit’s verified identity platform. The merits are granted for completion of BARBICIDE’s widely utilized courses on safety standards and best-practices.
-Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 professionals across more than 40 industries that are required to have a license to work. With Merit, those licenses are now digital, accessible, and easily verifiable by consumers and businesses.
Merit’s values are more than just words on paper – they permeate the company’s brand, culture,
products, and even individual actions. Our values are:
1. Building a network of truth and trust. Merit is modeling the real world of Verified Identity into a digital one, built on merits. Society values truth, and merits represent truth.
2. Everyone is a friend. We see opportunities everywhere because Merit has endless ways to grow the already vast and self-propagating Verified Identity graph.
3. A rising tide lifts all boats. We think about entire industries and how to make the most impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, our employees, partners, and everyone on Merit should succeed.
4. Measure to meaningfully improve. Work is measured by output, not vanity metrics, and the things we do measure have goals.
5. Use Merit to build Merit. The strength of the Merit network, platform, and company compounds with the addition of every partner, consumer, and employee.
The billing specialist will report to Merit’s Head of Finance, with dotted lines to Senior Accountant and Chief of Staff. The billing specialist will work closely and collaboratively with the Chief of Staff and other departmental contacts regarding billing. The Accounting tasks will be under the supervision and will work collaboratively with the Senior Accountant on all other tasks as assigned/ allowed by time. This role focuses on invoicing, collections and setting up/refining billing processes for new and existing clients in order to achieve efficiencies.
Merit is a startup environment where you will be expected to roll up your sleeves, take initiative, and get creative about finding solutions to challenges. This is a full-time, 100% remote role.
- Reconciliations (credit cards, banks)
- Credit card expense coding/receipting
- Bill.com – vendor set-up, invoice processing
- Concur – vendor set-up, reimbursement processing
- W9 collection, 1099 processing
- Scheduling bank transfers or wires/ monitoring bank balances
- Other MEC (month end close) work as assigned
- Audit support as needed
- Tax returns support as needed
- Process, create, and send invoices to customers
- Follow up on outstanding invoices until they are paid
- Create, improve, and refine billing processes for existing and new customers
- Experience with accounting software (Sage, QBO) and data entry
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal)
- Strong attention to detail and good analytical skills
- Strong sense of confidentiality
- Understanding of account reconciliation
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Previous invoicing/ revenue recognition and/ or collections experience a plus
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.