Donor Care Specialist
The Mozilla Foundation is a nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online!
Twenty years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web. Today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology is more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means especially two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated, and corporate accountability is real and enforced.
Mozilla is seeking a passionate, donor service professional that will serve as the first point of contact for thousands of Mozilla and Thunderbird supporters worldwide. With a deep commitment to excellent “customer service,” the Donor Care Specialist will help our supporters make donations and answer questions about our programs. You’ll get to work with people from around the globe, including communicating in different languages, handling foreign currencies, and appreciating different donation philosophies. This position is full-time with a preference for someone working in the Eastern Time Zone. The role has evenly split duties between the Mozilla Foundation and Thunderbird and will report to Mozilla's Director of Partnerships.
In this role, you will:
- Accurately and promptly enter donor and donation information into Salesforce for donations received by mail with support and quality checks by our Donor Care, Senior Coordinator
- Promptly and accurately produce donation acknowledgment letters, ideally ready to be sent within 48 hours of bank deposit.
- Support batch imports of donations data from checks and other donation platforms like PayPal Giving Fund, Network for Good, SEPA transactions, etc.
- Use transaction platforms including Braintree, Stripe, and PayPal to locate and resolve donation issues, detect fraudulent donation patterns, refund or reject suspicious transactions, update donor records, and maintain block lists of fraudulent donors.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
Mozilla specific duties:
- Handle donor cases, including on the heels of fundraising appeals and the year-end fundraising campaign, with a willingness to have flexible hours and occasionally work evenings or weekends based on volume (with time in lieu provided).
- Supply the Major Gift Officer with promising major gift leads using independent judgment and research of donor history as appropriate.
- Assist in the creation and editing of training documentation related to resolving donor issues.
- Provide occasional assistance with planning and organizing donor events or other fundraising-related tasks as needed
Thunderbird specific duties:
- Handle incoming Thunderbird donor cases, track frequently asked questions and issues, and assist with writing and editing standardized responses.
- Diligently follow up throughout the life of existing and intensified cases and confirm resolution of each case.
- Attend weekly Thunderbird meetings to share any relevant information with the team.
- Run regular reports and share overall temperature for donor issues with Thunderbird’s Community Manager and Director of Operations.
We Are Excited To See:
- Customer service mentality - you love helping a customer or donor solve a problem
- Strive for excellence in your work - you focus on a project until it’s completed well
- Keen attention to detail and highly organized - you proofread and triple check your work
- Strong written communication skills - you’re clear and crisp in your writing while demonstrating comprehension and compassion
- Solid technical acumen - you know your way around a MacBook Air and have worked with tools like Salesforce, Braintree, Stripe, and other computing software
- Sense-maker - you recognize patterns and confidently alert team members to problems
- Flexible - you adapt to changes, easily handle shifting demands on your time, and are always looking for ways to improve
- Comfortable working remotely - you’re a pro now at using video, chat, and voice with team members and donors located worldwide.
- Passionate about our mission - you care deeply about the impact of technology on society and its potential to lift up humanity
- Familiarity with Thunderbird - You use Thunderbird and are familiar with the technical aspects and features of the software
Your Professional Profile:
- 3+ years of online customer service or online donor service experience (preferably in multiple languages and currencies), including solving payment problems, answering questions, and providing effective follow-up.
- 2+ years experience working in Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack including impeccable data entry, data import, and report production skills.
- Demonstrated strong writing ability that includes the ability to be clear, crisp, and compassionate when writing an email to a donor
- Proven analytical skills and adept at problem-solving when serving donors
- Strong technology skills including experience working on MacBook Air and with Google Docs, Sheets, Word, and Excel
- Prefer experience with payment systems including Braintree, PayPal, and Stripe
- Prefer proficiency in German
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that considers the responsibilities and requirements of the role. The Mozilla Foundation aims to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges to increase inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensure internal equity. We do not ask for or consider salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges and mid-point for this role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff are listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% on either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Canada: $57,742 - $70,574 (mid-point: $64,158)
- US: $52,579 - $64,264 (mid-point: $58,421)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff, along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Toronto: $62,303 - $76,148 (mid-point: $ 69,226)
- New York: $58,257 - $71,204 (mid-point: $ 64,730)
If your application is successful, your specific location’s range will be discussed in screening conversations.
We offer the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top-up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of the Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer, value diversity, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.