Senior Data Engineer
RoleAll Other Remote
Pennylane is building the financial OS (Operating System) for European SMEs. A single source of truth for financial data, used on one side by entrepreneurs to run their business (invoicing and getting paid, paying suppliers and expense management, piloting cash and profitability) and on the other side by their accountant for bookkeeping and fiscal declarations.
Saving time to all entrepreneurs and accountants, helping them to make the right decisions and enabling 3rd parties to offer added-value personalized financial services.
We’ve launched in France and will expand to other markets in Continental Europe in 2022. Our commercial website is thus in French only but the code is obviously documented in English and our tech team speaks English.
We’re product-led, growing fast, backed by strong investors and are starting to hire software engineers anywhere in Europe, to join our experienced remote-first engineering team.
🎯 Your mission
In short: we are building a scalable Data Platform, inspired by the state of the art, that will serve as a foundation to design analytics pipelines and machine learning products to power Pennylane and make it the best financial OS in the market.
In more details:
- You will be the go-to person for anything data engineering, bringing expertise and vision in our experienced Tech & Data team.
- You will be the main architect of our Data Platform, from data ingestion and validation to transport, storage and exposure to consumers
- You will lead the design and implementation of data solutions (streaming, ETL, etc)
- You will work hand in hand with data scientists and analysts to implement analytics and machine learning solutions
- You will work closely with software engineers - the most critical data producers - to guarantee data quality and integrity, and promote a culture where data is seen as a production system
The company is based in Paris, and the whole Tech & Data team works remotely. So you are free to work from wherever you want in Europe.
✨ What's exciting about our project ?
- The vision: we want to change the life of thousands of entrepreneurs throughout Europe with our solution
- The ambition: we are scaling at a very rapid pace and we want to become a leader in fintech within 2 to 3 years
- The learning curve: we have a very experienced Tech & Data team whom you can share with and learn from everyday
- The ownership: we are a product-led company with decentralized decision-making and strong ownership within each Product Squad
- The environment: we do our best to develop a culture based on trust, autonomy, and benevolence so you can feel like you're in the right place
🥇 You’re the right candidate if…
- You have a solid and varied experience in designing and building data pipelines in a production environment, including projects you lead technically.
- In particular, you have experience in technologies related to data streaming: performance, observability, real time processing, schema validation, etc.
- You are comfortable Python / SQL / Spark & Pyspark
- We use Terraform and AWS to manage our resources and Github to automate deployments, so if you have experience with them, that would be a big plus.
- You have worked closely with data users on solving concrete business problems.
… with bonus points if:
- You have worked on implementing and rolling out machine learning solutions in a production environment
- You have experience with AWS and infrastructure as code (Terraform)
- You have an engineering background
🎁 What we offer
- Choice of a work laptop (Mac/Linux)
- Remote desk set up or a use of Co-working space (we work etc.)
- Gross Salary + Generous Stock Option Plan.
- Alan Mind: employee access to mental health support and wellbeing.
- Busuu: language learning platform access.
- Health Insurance.
- Holidays + any bank holidays on top of standard.
- Occasional travel to our Paris HQ for team building events/workshops/dev days (we get teams to meet every couple of months) and onboarding. As well as 2 yearly trips for company activities. Last time we went to the Alps and enjoyed two days doing fun activities in the snow, it was fabulous!
- Development and learning budget, courses, activities, books, anything that helps you excel.
- We are working on introducing more perks, depending on your location.
🤝 Hiring process
- A first interview with our Talent Acquisition Manager
- A technical test
- An interview with our data team to go over one of your past projects, and discuss a case study closely related to one of our priorities
- An interview with our Tech & Product founders to discuss our company culture
Encouraging diversity in all its forms, Pennylane strives to offer an inclusive, caring and fulfilling work environment in our offices and remotely. We provide equal opportunities and consideration regardless of background, origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation or handicap.