Senior Machine Learning Researcher
RoleAll Other Remote
Peptone is a category-defining translational biophysics company focusing on the intersection of physics, biology and supercomputing. Currently, we are in the scale-up phase, where our efforts go into building out our experimental lab capacity located in Switzerland while growing the computational modelling and the software & data engineering teams based both in Switzerland and in the UK.
Our interdisciplinary team consists of physicists, biologists, computational chemists, computer scientists and mathematicians. We have created a company culture that is based on scientific and personal integrity and a highly supportive, inclusive attitude. Our curiosity and drive stem from the shared passion to contribute to our scientific understanding of proteins and to translate these insights into reality by developing drugs that make people's lives better.
Default to transparency. As individuals, we view transparency as a lifestyle of authenticity, respect, and honesty. As a team, we view transparency as an effective way to work remotely and establish a culture of trust.
Cultivate positivity. We strive to approach things in a positive way while realizing all emotions are valid. We encourage constructive feedback from team members and business partners to foster positive collaborations.
Show gratitude. We regularly stop and demonstrate gratitude for our circumstances. We are reverent to our team, investors, advisors, and commercial partners who believed in us from the beginning and will always use this as a guiding light to grow.
Practice reflection. We believe the act of introspection is where true learning and life-changing adjustments originate. We approach discussions intentionally and think through all angles.
Improve consistently. We are biased toward action and have a higher expectation of ourselves and of our technology than others have of us. We aim to be fully engaged in our work and activities and fully disconnected when we're not working.
Act beyond yourself. We consider the bigger picture, knowing our work goes beyond ourselves. We are not afraid of the less-travelled path if it holds true to our values and betters the world.
Build sustainably. Sustainability is at the core of our technology, research, and team values. Oppenheimer's supercomputer runs on 100% renewable energy and mitigates the need for traditional high-throughput experiments in our Swiss lab. Our team is incentivized and committed to growing a sustainable future and corporate culture.
Diversify. Diversity at all levels is paramount in translating biophysics to first-in-class medicines while embracing the serendipity of science. Diversity in mindsets, gender, skills, backgrounds, and — because we are geeks, protein sequences — is key to building an impactful future for our patients.
Patient passion. Our team is interwoven with a passion for understanding the “why” of protein drug failures to avoid them. The integration of the Oppenheimer platform with our Swiss pre-clinical laboratory is an unwavering commitment to developing first-in-class protein therapeutics for our patients.
Reverence to the giants. We embrace the fortitude and ingenuity of all the great minds and teams who advanced the field of protein biophysics to enable cutting-edge therapeutics. It is our honour to collaborate in this arena to pay homage to scientists who laid the very foundation.
Committed to our Corporate Culture to embracing diversity, Peptone Ltd and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers building a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; colour; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law. We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Delivering first-in-class medicines for better patient outcomes is our obsession. Translating biophysics of intrinsic protein disorder to generate de novo protein therapeutics is our passion.
- A non-hierarchical environment where everyone has a voice to influence and shape the company's future direction
- An appreciative atmosphere with fair salaries, company benefits and top-class working equipment
- A highly dynamic environment with plenty of opportunities for career development
- A highly skilled and interdisciplinary team that is passionate about proteins, science and business
- A unique company giving you the opportunity to push the boundaries of biopharmaceutical drug development
- A fast-paced company with novel science and academic rigour at its core
- A company that values your contribution to scientific endeavour and supports the presentation and publication of your novel discoveries
- A flexible working setup to ensure a work-life balance
Our computational team that consists of bright and talented people with a diverse set of backgrounds, has the ultimate goal to assist the drug development pipelines and promote a fruitful collaboration with colleagues from our experimental lab. Within this group, we have a dedicated team that drives our Machine Learning efforts to carry out relevant research and build next generation ML models in the biotech space. This group is also responsible for providing solutions to challenging problems in the realm of data scarcity, where fundamental knowledge of statistical methods and original ideas are also indispensable.
In a successful candidate we look for the following qualifications, skills and characteristics:
- STEM degree on an MSc (or PhD) level;
- To have mathematical maturity and general prowess in computational statistics;
- Good knowledge of ML algorithms, including optimization (e.g. GD/SGD, Adam, etc.), and basic model architectures (e.g. RNN, CNN, Transformers, etc.);
- To have hands-on experience with ML models. 3+ years; extensive knowledge covering the entire ML pipeline, data preparation, writing models, training, inference, deployments;
- Good problem solver; great team player, who is curious and passionate about science;
- Familiarity with ML frameworks like jax/torch/tensorflow, etc.; standard languages e.g. Python, and basic/advanced knowledge of the fundamentals of software development;
- Hands on experience with version control systems (Git preferred) and basic/advanced knowledge of cloud computing practices;
- Even if you don't tick all the boxes, feel free to apply, we'd like to hear from you how you could add value to our efforts
Our flexible working policy allows the candidate to work both from London, UK and Bellinzona, Switzerland offices.
- Covering all aspects of modern ML workloads, including, model research, implementation, training, evaluation, inference; Furthermore, assisting in deployment and integrating the models into our ecosystem;
- Communicating the results internally with colleagues from different teams, and externally, also including non-experts;
- Writing internal reports and research papers;
- Collaborating with other team members within the company, predominantly with the wider computational team, but also including colleagues from the lab, in a swift and effective way;
- Participating in mid-to-long term projects that include several stakeholders and potentially external collaborators;
- We expect candidates to take the initiative in blue sky projects and participate proactively in shaping our long term ML agendas