4 to 7 years
Protect Democracy seeks a Graphic Designer to join our communications team. In this new role, you will be responsible for implementing our new visual brand guidelines, establishing consistency across our visual products, and creating impactful visual content. You will also ensure that all of Protect Democracy’s products — including our publications, website, social media platforms, and email content — help us further our mission through effective visual communication. Additionally, as the primary point of contact for all of our design needs, you will play a key role in developing future creative strategies that further our impact by coordinating our visual strategy with diverse stakeholders from across the team and beyond the organization.
The ideal candidate is a highly organized collaborator with keen attention to detail, a strong eye for visual composition, and an ability to meet deadlines both as an individual contributor and in collaboration with others. A commitment to our mission and a passion for defending and strengthening our democracy are essential.
Protect Democracy recognizes that there is strength in diversity and strongly encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum to apply. You can work from any location in the United States.
The Graphic Designer will:
- Ensure that all Protect Democracy products and publications are visually excellent and adhere to our visual brand guidelines.
- Design, edit, and reformat graphics, layouts, and data visualizations to meet specifications of print, web, social media, and other distribution channels.
- Create templates and internal processes for producing, managing, and approving visual content.
- Identify opportunities to incorporate new creative elements into our work.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external creative vendors and outside agencies, including identifying mission-benefitting partnerships and collaborations where needed.
- Spot potential brand risks stemming from the visual elements of our work.
- Train staff to leverage visual design for mission impact while maintaining visual brand discipline.
Requirements for application:
- Passion and commitment to our mission to defend and strengthen our democracy.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (preferably a B.A. or B.F.A. in graphic design or related fine arts fields, but not required)
- A minimum of 4-7 years of experience in graphic design and digital media.
- Proficiency with design platforms including but not limited to Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Figma.
- Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography, print, and web design.
- Compelling portfolio of work over a variety of creative projects.
- Strong initiative, and the ability to communicate about creative concepts with colleagues of different professional backgrounds.
- Understanding of trends and best practices for using graphics to communicate effectively via digital channels and with diverse audiences.
- Ability to plan ahead and meet deadlines on complex and multi-stakeholder projects.
- Comfort giving, receiving, and cherishing feedback.
Pluses, but not required:
- Animation or video production experience.
The starting salary range for this role is $103,838 to $122,151, commensurate with the candidate’s relevant experience, capabilities, and skills and in alignment with internal equity.
Working at Protect Democracy:
- Flexible location. You can work remotely from any location in the United States; the only location requirement is that yours allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. All staff are required to travel at least two times per year to internal team retreats. (Accommodations to this requirement will be made only in exceptional circumstances.) We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia, Washington, and elsewhere around the country. We offer shared workspaces in many of these locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes: a minimum of four weeks of PTO per year, three months of paid parental leave, a 401(k) plan with up to 6% employer match that vests immediately, full coverage for an excellent health care plan that includes both dental and vision insurance, long-term disability and life insurance for all employees, a home office stipend, and as budget allows, discretionary bonuses.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position:
Please follow the "APPLY" button below. As part of your application, you will be asked to upload as a single PDF your cover letter and resume with a sample portfolio. Applications missing any of the required materials will be considered incomplete and not reviewed. Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please contact [email protected] if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.