Engineering Manager - Moderation Platform
RoleAll Other Remote
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
Every day, millions of people seek answers and share their knowledge through Quora. To foster this marketplace of knowledge, we need to build systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; that show you answers to questions you didn't know you had, on topics you didn't know you liked, and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet.
The Product Engineering teams focus on growth, engagement, and activation. This work includes how we distribute content to the right people, how we curate content on Quora, and how we engage new users, writers, and readers. This also includes defining, shaping, and changing the fundamental dynamics of Quora, to create a compelling and cohesive experience for users to share and grow knowledge.
At Quora, we believe that fostering a strong engineering culture in inclusive teams is the key to building a great company and product. As an Engineering Manager for the Moderation team, you will lead end-to-end engineering of our platforms and product features for moderation, empowering your team to continuously identify initiatives that maintain high content quality and protect the integrity of our platform against bad actors. You’ll work closely with other product development leaders to plan, prioritize, and deliver scalable solutions to uphold high-quality experiences for our 300 million+ monthly unique visitors on Quora.
- Grow and hire a team of full-stack engineers from the ground up.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of a fast-paced team.
- Drive effective processes for technical design decisions, prioritization, estimation, execution, and expectations-setting.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Machine Learning, Data Science, and Product Operations to shape the team roadmap and ensure successful execution towards our strategy.
- Drive initiatives with the Engineering management team to foster our engineering culture and evolve processes across the entire Engineering team.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 4+ years of software engineering experience architecting, building, and scaling high-traffic products
- 1+ years of people management experience in a technology company
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated history of exceptional mentorship and coaching skills
- Experience with Python or similar programming language
- Experience with databases such as MySQL
- Passion for Quora's mission to share and grow the world's knowledge
- Experience with the content or user moderation domains
- Familiarity with React and GraphQL
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.