Tech Lead, Developer
RoleFull Stack Programming
We are looking for an experienced and talented Tech Lead within our development function to take responsibility for the direction of their team under the guidance/supervision of the VP Engineering and the CTO. This is a remote role open to candidates based in the UK.
About Natwest Rooster Money
RoosterMoney is a pocket money app and prepaid debit card that helps parents teach their kids the value of money in a digital age. Simple, progressive and gameful, we bring to life all the sound traditional financial principles we were brought up with (or wish we were!) and make managing money smart, fun & relevant for the modern world.
We believe the world would be a better place if we all talked about money a little earlier on in life. Research shows that our money habits are formed by the age of seven. That’s a pretty amazing opportunity to help give kids a head-start in building habits that will stick with them for life.
We operate a remote first culture, but make time to all get together every couple of months.
Why Natwest Rooster Money?
Hundreds of thousands of families have downloaded the Rooster Money app since our launch in January 2016, and in October 2021 we were proud to become part of the NatWest Banking Group as NatWest Rooster Money.
NatWest Rooster Money has been featured in The Times, Telegraph, Guardian, Financial Times to name a few. We’ve been on the BBC and are considered experts in our field.
In addition to our Tracker, we offer the NatWest Rooster Card, a prepaid Visa card for kids with parental controls. We are scaling rapidly which offers lots of scope to grow for anyone joining the company.
With the backing of Natwest, one of the UK’s largest high street banks, we can help even more parents and children build their financial confidence and capability. The vision of Natwest aligns strongly with our own and their commitment to improving financial capability matches our shared passion for helping to teach children about money. This offers exciting opportunities for both our staff and customers.
This is a management role and you will be expected to perform managerial responsibilities for other developers within your squad. You will also be responsible for making sure that the technical aspects of the squad are aligned with the goals and key results set out by the VP and CTO and meet the coding standards. Tech leads are expected to champion the company processes and team culture to ensure optimal delivery.
You will be a strong problem solver, organised, and great at communicating with others. We look for T-shaped people who have a core set of skills they can bring to the team and the ability to build on new ones. Whatever the problem or opportunity, you find the best solution in the quickest amount of time.
You are an experienced Developer with at least 10 years experience, working throughout the RoosterMoney mobile application to build solutions that focus on providing a great user experience for all ages. You will be accountable for:
- Owning your cross-team shared infrastructure and takeing ownership and delivery of projects.
- Ensuring solid, maintainable code is delivered both personally and amongst the team.
- Sharing knowledge and execution of Agile Development Approaches
- Managing a team of developers delivering a business outcome or workstream including direct reports performance and management. This will include supporting onboarding of new team members.
- Mentoring and championing within the team, encouraging development and support, training or upskilling where required.
- and responsible for maintaining best practice coding standards for their direct reports.
- Direct Reports: Continuous Performance Improvement / Annual Performance Reviews / Annual Leave / Time Management
With your previous skills in developing you will have a proven track record in the following:
- REACT (+ state management aka Redux or similar)
- NodeJS (ExpressJS)
- Excellent understanding of HTTP Methods / Restful
- Worked with JSON web services
- Good knowledge of GIT (Peer Review, GitFlow or Github flow)
- Experience with Automated testing (Jest)
- HTML + CSS (SCSS/LESS)
- AWS ECS, CDK, SNS, SQS, XRAY, Lambda, DynamoDB
- Comprehensive knowledge of SQL (PostgreSQL / T-SQL / Presto)
- Solid knowledge of architectural patterns and coding principles
The following would be a bonus but not essential:
- Swagger / OpenAPI
- Cordova / Native app knowledge
- Firebase / Crashlytics / Analytics
- TeamCity / Github Actions CI/CD
- Webpack / ESBuild
- Linting Software (ESLint) / SAST / DAST
- Package Management - NPM
- Lakehouse - Data lakes / athena / Snowflake / Tableau
We will provide you with an in depth induction to get you up and running, familiar with our processes and people. You will work remotely but should be expected to attend meetings in London or the South West as and when required.. We are a small team so a good cultural fit and understanding our remote working culture is really important.
Apply if you want to:
- Work closely with a small group of determined, like-minded people to reshape the way families talk and engage with money around the world.
- Be proud of being a part of and lead a team shipping quality code that is easy to test, maintain and build on.
- Engage in the future of mobile solutions for RoosterMoney's customer
- Work with a fun, passionate team building something awesome
- Flexible hours and competitive rate of pay
- Remote working (but will regular meet ups in Bristol & London)