Principal Staff Writer
8 to 10 years
RoleAll Other Remote
- We've been honing our remote-only workplace culture and best practices for 13 years. The result is an autonomous, global team in 6 countries and 7 time zones that thrives on collaboration, purpose, and no politics. Our best feature? A team that cares about the mastery of their work, the company, and our people. Here are also a handful of other reasons why we are awesome…
- We manage by execution or goals. So long as you get your work done, we're happy campers.
- Complete Work/Life Balance. We are piloting a 4 day work week that could become a regular part of our culture. We want you to be operating at 100% capacity, which means that you need to rest.
- You Can Be Yourself. You don't have to put on a fake, professional face. You can just be yourself.
- Major Opportunities for Career Growth. We have big goals and dreams. We are not trying to just be a small business. We promote quickly once we identify talent. It doesn't matter what your credentials are – it matters what you get done.
- Anti Red Tape. There are no bureaucratic or lengthy rules getting in the way of getting work done.
- Supportive Environment. We don't operate via intense stress or unreasonable top-down deadlines. Everyone wants you to be successful – internal politics are at a minimum here.
- Pro-Curiosity. We value a growth mindset. Part of that is being curious about how things work and wanting to learn more. We want everyone to get better constantly.
- We are Search Engine Journal (Owned by Alpha Brand Media), the leading publication dedicated to covering the search industry since 2003.
- In a media and technology world ruled by algorithms, Search Engine Journal (SEJ) provides the expert-led practical content, industry news, and guidance needed for digital marketers to optimize for discoverability across search, social, and commerce platforms.
- We are a rapidly growing company and we're looking for the next rock star to join our team!
- Are you an experienced SEO professional with a talent for writing about your trade? How would you like to be an SEO expert staff writer for SEJ, publishing your perspective under your byline on SEO tactics and strategies, cementing your reputation as a recognized authority in the industry? We're looking for a Principal Staff Writer to play a crucial role in taking SEJ's evergreen editorial content from great to next level. By writing, editing, and optimizing our robust calendar of web articles, this role will be integral to SEJ's continued growth as a publication and respected resource on all things SEO and digital marketing to industry professionals and decision-makers.
Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to write clearly and with authority about all things SEO–from on-page, to off-page, and technical.
- Solid editorial judgment with the capacity to identify content gaps, and to create, edit, and optimize accurate, engaging, well-written content.
- Strong and seasoned writing, editing, and copy-editing skills, with careful attention to detail and preferred knowledge of AP style.
- Ability to summarize articles, call out "takeaways" or actionable next steps for the reader, and identify key challenges or questions in the article which need solutions & answers (for FAQ markup and other template call outs).
- Understanding of traffic, analytics, CMS, and social media platforms, trends, tools, practices, and measurement, including but not limited to GA, Semrush, Ahrefs, WordPress, Yoast, and others.
- High level of SEO and intermediate PPC knowledge.
- Ideally, the Principal Staff Writer has 8-10 years of combined experience in SEO and editorial work.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 5 years as a full-time SEO
- Knowledge of technical SEO, including experience with site audits, schema markup, and other best practices
- Experience with link building and off-page optimization
- Understanding of the principles of user experience and how it applies to SEO
- Excellent working knowledge of on-page SEO optimization and keyword research
- Understanding of site content architecture, including the importance of cornerstone or pillar content, content clusters, Focus KWs, and internal linking structure.
- Up-to-date working knowledge of Google's algorithm changes and SEO ranking factors
- Content marketing
- Experience with content management systems, WordPress, etc.
- Proofreading experience and familiarity with standard style guides
- Experience working with Google Analytics
- Ability to work independently and with a team to meet deadlines
- Other digital marketing experience and industry knowledge
Responsibilities and Duties
- New content writing
- Creating high-quality, SEO-optimized (including on-page SEO) web articles that educate SEJ's audience about SEO-targeted topics and rank well in SERP
- Write captions for photos, meta descriptions, alt text, etc.
- Delivering 5 new web articles per week that are factually accurate, informative, engaging, and free of typos and grammatical errors
- Implementing feedback and suggestions from our editorial team
- Adhering to SEJ editorial and style guidelines
- Writing pillar pages
- Writing ebook chapters
- Content editing
- Edit and proofread new content for grammar and style
- Reviewing new content to ensure it is:
- Effective in meeting SEJ's goals
- Reviewing and refreshing or rewriting existing content to ensure it is:
- Up-to-date and relevant to readers
- Effective in meeting SEJ's goals
- Meeting the same standard of editorial quality expected of new content
- Delivering refresh or rewrite articles as needed that are factually accurate, informative, engaging, and largely free of grammatical errors
Status: Full-Time | Salary: $75,000 - $85,000 | Location: Remote
- Medical & Dependent FSA's
- Masterclass Subscription
- Did we mention we're piloting a 4-day work week?
- 8 Weeks Paid Parental Leave
- 10 Days Vacation
- 14 Days Sick Leave
- $1,500 Annual Paid Professional Development
- Did we mention we are 100% remote - forever?
The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, or requirements.