Director of Data Engineering and Analytics
RoleAll Other Remote
Here at Shippo, we are the shipping layer of the internet and we consider ourselves to be one of the core building blocks of e-commerce.
Our mission is to make merchants successful through world class shipping. With our products and solutions, we level the playing field by providing our customers with best-in-class solutions that otherwise wouldn’t be available to them. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, platforms and a variety of logistics infrastructure providers are able to connect to shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. We provide our customers with the most competitive shipping rates, print labels, automated international documents, shipment tracking, facilitate the returns process and more.
How we’ll deliver success:
We are looking for a seasoned leader to drive Shippo’s data strategy and vision and execute across end-to-end from data foundations to advanced analytics. The Director of Data Engineering and Analytics will be responsible for leading and managing data infrastructure, data platforms, analytics, reporting, and data science functions.
Shipping & handling responsibilities:
- Drive the vision for data foundations and analytics, and execute on plans to achieve that vision
- Partner with Product Management to develop internal and external roadmaps for data engineering and analytics teams
- Build, maintain and drive the vision for all data infrastructure and tooling across Shippo
- Deliver the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in all areas of the data teams, including project management, data access, data quality, data protection, data management, change management, and system reliability
- Build, lead and develop a high-performing data engineering and analytics team
- Build cross-functional relationships with data users across the company such as data scientists, product managers, software engineers, and data analysts throughout business teams to understand data needs across the company and deliver on those needs
- See and evangelize the power of data science to understand and improve our business and operations
- Lead a team responsible for translating analytic insights into concrete, actionable recommendations for business and product improvement, and customer outcomes
- Lead ideation and execution of innovative business products through data assets and data science-based analytics solutions
- Drive he design, building, and launching of new data models and data pipelines in production and non-production environments
- Drive data quality across products and related business areas
- Manage the delivery of high-impact dashboards and data visualizations for internal stakeholders and productized features
- Deliver high-quality data infrastructure, services, and results across the business
- Contribute to improving data competencies across the company, such as data literacy, governance, and data use
Do you tick the boxes?
- 7 years of experience in BI, Analytics, and Data Infrastructure at fast-growing technology companies
- Experience with end-to-end ownership of modern data stacks, large-volume data sets, analytics, and visualization tools
- A strong problem solver and cross-functional collaborator with outstanding relationship management and leadership skills. Excellent communicator via phone, email, and presentation, and skilled in working within remote-first work environments
- Experience developing and leading high-performance data teams
- Strong data infrastructure, data architecture, analytics, data management, and data governance skills
- Experience successfully building data lake-like large-scale data stores that support both data analytics and data science/MLStrong management and operational skills to drive efficiency, speed, and execution across their teams, inclusive of strategy development, project management leadership, people management, and a strong vision for how data can proactively improve companies
- A track record of leading and scaling data teams, driving strategy, and consistently delivering impactful work while navigating the ambiguity, incomplete information, and resource constraints that inevitably exist at fast-paced start-ups
- Experience working with modern data stacks, including data lakes, data warehouses, databases, SQL or similar languages, and reporting/dashboarding applications in a microservices environment
- Experience with data analytics, machine learning, generating business value from data, and presenting results to external customers and internal stakeholders
- Experience researching and analyzing product and corporate data needs
- Experience in developing advanced data science and ML infrastructure and systems
- Strong knowledge of data science technologies and machine learning concepts, with experience developing and taking models end-to-end from research, to POC, to production pipelines
- Communication and leadership experience, with experience initiating and driving complex and cross-team initiatives
- Development experience in at least one object-oriented language (Python, Java, etc.).Self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguous problem spaces, biased towards execution, and adept at identifying patterns to put structure around.
- Preferred Experience with DataBricks, Glue, MLOps, Sagemaker, Spark, Kafka, Kinesis, and AWS Redshif
What's in the Shippo package?
- Healthcare coverage for medical, dental, and vision (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents). Pets coverage is also available!
- Take-as-much-as-you-need vacation policy & flexible work hours
- Two week-long company wide shutdowns during summer and winter
- 3 Volunteer Days Off (VTOs)
- WFH stipend to set up your home office
- Charity donation match up to $100
- Dedicated programs, coaching, tools, and resources for your professional and career growth as well as an individual learning stipend for your personal and focused growth
- Fun team meetups through our Shippos everywhere program that includes regular team and company off-sites throughout the year as well as gatherings with your local Shippos
Our Compensation Shippolicy:
We believe compensation is a custom experience and are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The standard base pay range for this role is min $210,600 to a max $257,400 annual salary. We tend to anchor our pay in the middle of this range with most offers that we make ($234,000). Since we are focused on hiring Shippos Everywhere, we have 2 US pay ranges, a standard compensation range for the majority of the US and a standard +1 compensation range for those who live in areas where the cost of labor is higher, such as NYC and California.
The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: financial budgets, work experience, training, transferable skills, business needs, and market value. The base pay salary ranges are subject to change and may be modified in the future. Total compensation for this role will include, equity, medical, dental, vision and other benefits noted in our Shippo “package” section.
Sail through the process:
Here at Shippo, we celebrate inclusivity and are committed to creating equal access to opportunities for people from all backgrounds, perspectives and geographies. These values define who we are and everything we do. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shippos in the wild:
Our people, much like the packages we help ship, are all over the world. This means, through our remote-first program, “Shippos Everywhere”, our roles can be based anywhere in the US with the exception of Delaware, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Hawaii, New Mexico and West Virginia and many roles can be based internationally.
For locations outside of the US and Ireland, the employment contracts are powered by Remote.com (all Shippo perks still apply - including equity!). What we want to emphasize is that you can be successful at Shippo regardless of location.
Jobs by Expertise
Jobs by Skill
© Copyright AllRemote 2022. All Rights Reserved