Magento Frontend Developer
You are a developer in our Magento delivery team focusing on delivering frontend Magento functionality.
Here's what your week may look like: You start your day in a team Stand Up discussing progress you made yesterday, listening to your team members describe their current issues and dropping some knowledge bombs on how you "solved this last time". You're working from home, so you pay the pet tax and encourage your four-legged-friend to wave to the camera before logging off.
First up you've got a pair-programming session with a Junior Developer in your team to help them through a design implementation that they've been working on. They've been steadily improving under your experienced wing and are turning into a really productive team member.
After lunch you'll set your Slack status and turn on Do Not Disturb for a couple of hours while you debug a weird issue with a customer's site. There's been a change to the estimated delivery day logic recently to support new shipping options, and it's caused some display issues in certain browsers. You update the styles to cover this unexpected scenario and tell the Project Manager the good news! You push your feature branch to Bitbucket and watch Bitbucket Pipelines build your code, running automated tests to prove your new code passes the tests.
Your JIRA issue has automatically transitioned to "In Code Review" and you open your pull request, studying your diff carefully before assigning it to your team mate for a sanity check.
Tomorrow (assuming all is well!) you'll merge your pull request into a release branch and let Pipelines deploy it to Staging where it will be regression tested by the QA Team and their bank of automated tests. It should be out to Production by the end of the week, providing we can get through the testing and get client sign off by 2pm on Thursday.
If you read this and it sounds like your ideal job — we want you on the team!
What you'll be doing
The following should give you an idea of how you'll be expected to typically be spending your time. It's not set in stone and it may change from week-to-week, but it gives an idea of what is expected from the role.
- Software Delivery (90%)
You'll be spending the majority of your time working on delivering projects for our customers with your team. You'll be building Magento themes, integrations and working with the design and CX team to bring our customers requirements to life! You'll work with the Engineering Manager to progress our platform specific goals and build out tools and products to make sure we're constantly improving on how we work. Depending on your experience, a portion of this time is expected to be spent assisting other team members in delivering their work effectively.
- Personal Development (10%)
Keeping up with new software releases, development practices, horror stories and post mortems are an essential part of any Software Developer's time! Use this time to push forward your objectives and research tools and techniques you need to stay productive.
The following are the types of tasks that you may be required to perform as part of your role:
- Build SoftwareInterpret business requirements and technical specification documents, to deliver an appropriate technical solution to agreed quality and timelines
- Write software to an agreed set of coding standards
- Create, document, and implement automated test scenarios
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Set up and maintain deployment systems
- Participate in manual testing of work in progress
- To be part of an escalation process for technical guidance in the wider development team
- Maintain SoftwarePerform maintenance development
- Investigate, analyse and document defects
- Correct identified defects
- Support customers out-of-hours as part of an on-call rota
- Communicate with TeamProvide progress reports on tasks and projects
- Assist in PlanningParticipate in project planning meetings
- Participate in Discovery sessions
- Create business requirement and technical specification documents
- Share Knowledge and IdeasProactively suggest improvements in customer programmes of work
- Actively support and mentor less senior members of the development team
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Magento 2
- CSS and related preprocessors
- Working with third-party REST and GraphQL APIs
- Experience of the full software lifecycle
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Advanced experience working with Git
- Advanced knowledge of the HTTP and H2 protocols
- Advanced knowledge of web application security
Knowledge & Experience
- At least 2 years of development experience working in a development team within a commercial environment
- Experience dealing directly with non-technical stakeholders
- Highly motivated with demonstrable technical and analytical skills
- Desire to further technical skills and knowledge
- Attention to detail, commitment and desire to complete a consistently high standard of work
- Advanced time management skills with the ability to manage own tasks to agreed timelines with limited supervision
- Able to clearly communicate complex design and development decisions
- Advanced knowledge of best practice and architecture for complex web applications
- Advanced knowledge of and able to avoid common security issues in web applications
- Able to articulate complex technical solutions with minimal assistance
- Able to design and build complex technical solutions with minimal assistance
- Strong communication skills
Any of these skills would be beneficial, but are not essential.
- Service workers and other PWA related technology
- Experience implementing headless web applications
- Experience integrating with relational databases (e.g. Postgres, MySQL)
- Experience working with Docker
- Experience with Systems Administration and DevOps
- Experience with FaaS platforms
- Experience with one or more Ecommerce platform (Magento 1.x, Shopware, Shopify, BigCommerce, CommerceTools, etc)
- Experience with one or more popular Node framework (e.g. Nest, Koa, Express, Hapi)
- Experience integrating with NoSQL data stores (e.g. Cosmo, Mongo, Firestore, Dynamo)
- Atlassian Suite (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket)
- Experience with PCI compliance
- Experience working with servers over SSH
Knowledge & Experience
- A Magento 2 Certification
- At least 1 years software development experience on an ecommerce platform
- Experience of people management in a fast-paced development environment
- Managing tasks and timelines of a development team, within a commercial environment
- We're fully remote and will support you in working from wherever you like
- Flexible working hours to suit your lifestyle
- Free monthly coworking passes with Hubble Pass
- 24 days holiday + bank holidays + an extra day's holiday for each year worked
- Your birthday off
- Vitality private health cover (Currently UK only. After one year)
- Pension scheme (UK only)
- Perkbox (Access to a wide range of discounts and special offers)
- Generous Workiversary bonuses at 5 years and 10 years
- £1000 referral bonus - recommend a friend for a job!
- Eyecare vouchers (Currently UK only)
- Company wellness initiatives
- Access to mental health support and an Employee Assistance Programme
- Training and development plans for everyone
- Collaborative, supportive culture led by strong values
- Regular social events and networking opportunities
- Relaxed and friendly team
Jobs by Expertise
Jobs by Skill
© Copyright AllRemote 2022. All Rights Reserved