Business Operations Manager
GMT - GMT+4
RoleManagement and Finance
Do you love to solve problems and have an unrivalled curiosity for analytics? Are you an analytical problem solver with experience truncating insights from data to drive operational excellence and optimize organisational growth? Does the prospect of playing a strategic role in the development of a large-scale, highly innovative and profitable enterprise excite you? Are you excited about working in a mission-driven environment with smart like-minded individuals and contributing to building an exceptional global talent community?
If this sounds like you, read on….
In 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world and will need to catalyse transformation by empowering its largest untapped resource - its people. The African Leadership Group is an ecosystem of institutions with a shared vision to harness Africa’s abundant human capital and transform the continent and the world by selecting, developing, and connecting 2 million ethical and entrepreneurial leaders by 2030. ALG was founded over 15 years ago by Fred Swaniker, a serial entrepreneur recognised by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019.
ALX and The Room are two brands of the African Leadership Group. ALX is our training arm, focused on developing skills for the fourth industrial revolution - software engineering, data science, UX design, cyber security, etc.) to ensure that Africa is able to compete effectively as the world undergoes a digital transformation. The Room is our connection arm, a community that our young talent join to access a lifetime of extraordinary opportunities and meaningful relationships. To learn more about us, please read this article about why we launched The Room & this article about the impact of our development programs in African youth.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Companies around the world are clamoring to find talent with skills in software engineering, data science, UX/UI design, software architecture, business intelligence, cyber security, cloud computing, Internet of Things, product management, and other skills that can enable the rapidly accelerating digital transformation. The Room is solving this challenge by creating a new supply of diverse, world-class technology talent and matching this talent to global companies that need it.
Our method is simple: (i) select the best emerging talent from the world’s largest pool of untapped talent: Africa (which will form 40% of the world’s population by the end of this century); (ii) rapidly train this talent to meet market demands and reduce the shortage of available technology talent and (iii) build a large-scale, B2B staffing business to outsource this talent to global companies. This is where you come in - you will help us manage and scale the operational support for our rapidly growing portfolio.
You’ll act as a fearless self-starter harnessing both strategic and analytical capabilities. You will partner closely with various teams across the business including our Marketing, Selection, Talent Readiness, Sales, Fellowship teams to identify performance trends and patterns with the aim of driving better business outcomes.
On one day you could find yourself working with your team to analyze data on completed applications for two application cycles for our Financial Analyst Programs drawing out patterns and learnings to improve our selection process for subsequent cohorts, on another day, you could work with our Expansion Team to provide market research on priority countries for launch, potential partnerships and recommendations so the team can execute and have a clear understanding of where they should be spending their time, money and energy to drive return. In simple terms, your role is to enable functional managers to make the right decisions!
More specifically, as the Business Operations Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Drive strategic special projects in support of functional team leads objectives: you could find yourself working with different teams as they launch projects to help guide how they execute and spend their time effectively. e.g. work with our fellowship team to benchmark against top fellowships in the world and how they acquire customers and keep them. With your insights you will be the go-to person for team leads for recommendations on how they can do their work better.
- Manage a team of analyst to create dashboards and analysis reports for functional teams to drive operational excellence.
- Provide strategic insights to functional leads backed by data: while your team will put together the dashboards, your role will be to weed out actionable strategic insights that you can share with functional managers to improve efficiency e.g. you can work with our CMO to share insights on channels we should spend money on by providing strategic insights on capital efficiency by channel, geography and demography ensuring functional leads have actionable insights and data at their fingertips.
Your KPIs will be:
- NPS across functional departments
- Project specific KPIs will be determined for each project you partner with teams on
- An MBA or similar advanced degree
- 3-5 years of experience in consulting, investment banking, business operations in a startup or big companies in P & L management role. A key requirement for this role is for someone to have a strategic and analytical mindset.
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical skills that they can use to generate actionable recommendations for leadership and functional teams
- Strong business sense; able to see the bigger picture and can operationalize business strategy and drive short-term and long-term goals simultaneously
- Experience with scaling: Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Superior decision-making skills & flexibility: robust attention to detail and are not fazed by ambiguity. You can navigate uncertainty and problem-solve to tackle challenges in an ever-changing business environment.
- High-performer : Results-oriented individual with proven track-record of exemplary performance and the willingness to do what it takes to achieve the larger vision
- Exceptional communication capabilities: written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior leadership and ability to influence peers.
Nice To Haves
- Python, R programming is a plus
- Leadership experience and/or experience building and growing a team
We would also like to remind you that this is a remote job, which means that you can work from anywhere in the world. However, we have a preference for a GMT to GMT +4 time zone.