Creative Director or ACD – Writing
🇺🇸 USA Only
RoleSales and Marketing
WATSON CREATIVE is a design-driven business consulting firm based in Portland, Oregon, with offices in San Francisco and Bend, Oregon. Our portfolio includes top-tier firms, athletic organizations, and cultural icons. We're designers, writers, parents, mentors, musicians, marketers, volunteers, programmers, filmmakers, MBA's, and dreamers. For us, design is a passion, a sport, and an obsession. www.WatsonCreative.com
Are you comfortable talking to clients? Listening.Will you take, use, and credit a great tagline that comes from a designer, a producer, a barista? Can your heart break and mend within the span of a 30-minute presentation? Is there one answer to these questions? We want curiosity and experience. Know the software. Know the rules. Be adroit at juggling multiple projects. Know what “adroit” means, and know never to use it in front of a client (maybe). Care, even when you don't feel like it. Be kind, even when you don't feel like it. Know that a lot of very talented people will be applying for this role. Know how to get our attention. Know how to keep it.
Research. Ideate. Concept. Collaborate with strategists, designers, developers, and senior leadership. Write position statements, leading messages, web copy (longform and short), social posts, pitches, sales sheets, articles, whitepapers, spec work—you get the point. Use our systems. Follow our processes. Flex when needed.
In particular, within Watson Creative, the Sr. Brand Writer role is to be prepared to wear numerous hats. We're a small agency and no one is above writing an email. A really good email. Or a process. Or proofing an RFP. Or writing the RFP. Also,
- Mentor writers and have a vision for building out this team.
- Help land and secure accounts and new work from clients.
- Brand positioning statements that are based on deep research and strategy.
- Developing rich personas based on the voice-of-the-consumer, and psychographics that help orchestrates change.
- Brand Manifestos, taglines, call-to-action, and tiers of narratives.
- Know how to make the argument for a particular company or product name. Know how to build out strategic nomenclatures.
- Know how to roadmap (hold, pause, and push) messaging over time as a client strives to earn their positioning.
- Know how to build campaigns focused on Brand Awareness, as well as targeted Campaigns focused on products or services. Understand call-to-actions. Know how to A/B test. And test again, with rigor.
- Understand SEO even if you don't love it. Respect it. Know Social Media, even if you don't love it.
- Have a vision for how to roll out these narratives across key assets, like websites, collateral, and packaging.
- Know how to write a script that paints images in the minds of your audience.
- Experience working with small and medium-sized clients on rebranding efforts preferred. We will also favor candidates who have experience running larger programs or initiatives for large organizations.
- Know how to develop verbal design systems that drive awareness and better position our clients. Be prepared to showcase 5 case studies, including voice and tone guidelines.
- Love to collaborate with a team of talented creatives and strategists.
- Ten years or more working as a writer focused on branding/positioning.
- Highly organized, problem solver, and self-driven
- Passionate about the work, the team, and our clients. Have a voice!
- Excellent written and spoken communicator
- Ability to formulate feedback in a constructive manner
- Ability to interface with clients in a highly professional manner
- Comfortable with ambiguity, fluidity, and client requests for revisions
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to wear multiple hats, including working outside of this job description
- A solid and well-developed sense of integrity
- Excellent organizational skills
- Health Care Plan, plus additional budget for custom insurance options.
- Life insurance and Medical leave
- Short & long-term disability insurance
- 401k matching plan and financial planning services
- Profit-Sharing Plan
- Maternity/paternity leave
- Continued education and professional development
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, and the week after Christmas off.
- Flexible schedules & Remote working welcomed
- And more
Our headquarters are tucked away in Portland, Oregon, nestled between the Pacific Ocean, Columbia Gorge, and National Forests, as well as a few volcanoes. It's the perfect catalyst for creativity and mischief; a place to stretch our legs and develop original, evolving, and meaningful solutions for our clients. Take a trolley. Bike it. Hike it. Offices in Portland, Bend, and San Francisco.
WATSON CREATIVE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, WATSON CREATIVE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
WATSON CREATIVE expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of WATSON CREATIVE's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.