Remote Front-end Product Developer
Whimsical is an end-to-end SaaS platform for shaping ideas. Our software enables thousands of customers-from individuals to Fortune 500-to think and collaborate in the new era of distributed work.
We're now looking for Senior Front-end Product Developers to help move that vision forward with primarily in ClojureScript!
At Whimsical you can expect your day-to-day to include:
- Scoping, understanding, and implementing features: Your primary task would be to work with other teammates to figure out the best way to take a Shape Up pitch from idea to deployment within the cycle.
- Support our customers: We have awesome customers, and supporting them often includes getting some help from the person that implemented the particular feature a customer is having issues with.
- Support the team: Review pull requests, refactor code, help with both technical and non-technical issues and in general help each of us end the day better than when we woke up.
- Potentially taking on-call duties in your time zone: We try to take advantage of the fact that we're a small, geographically distributed team by delegating the first-responder duties to the people who are awake at that particular moment.
Our front-end stack is Cljs, Reframe, Reagent, among others.
Our back-end stack is Clojure, Postgres, Redis, ECS, and is AWS based.
Indicators that this could be a good role for you
- You feel that our philosophy resonates with you and you can see it guiding your decisions while at Whimsical.
- You have 5+ years of front-end development experience.
- You feel excited about building tools that help others seamlessly collaborate and think together.
- You have experience building complex interactive web applications.
- You have used ClojureScript in a production environment before, and feel comfortable using Clojure and functional programming in general to solve non-trivial problems
- You love chewing on the occasional geometry puzzle or have prior background in graphics programming.
- You have experience in measuring, analyzing, and fixing performance problems.
- You're able to work autonomously and stay self-motivated. (Bonus: previous experience working on remote team).
- You are fluent in English.
- Due to legal and compliance reasons we're looking for someone in either
- ðºð¸ð¨ð¦ US/Canada
- ðªðºEuropean Union
- ð¬ð§United Kingdom
- ð³ð¿New Zealand
- A resume or manually entered experience (you can choose your preference).
- Thoughtful, thorough responses to all the application questions.
- 100% Remote: Our team is spread across North America, Europe and Oceania, and we've got you covered if you prefer to work from a coworking space.
- Salary: Annual salary at $147'000 - $184'000, based on experience
- Equity: Depending on experience
- Vacation: 6 weeks of paid time off each year
- Parental Leave: 4 weeks paid by company
- Equipment: We provide all the tech you need to work successfully
- Summits: We try to bring everyone together at least twice a year
- Pension*: 401k with 6% company matching
- Health Insurance*: Paid by company for you and dependents
* Availability may depend on your location and our current administrative capabilities there.
How we work
We use an adapted version of Basecamp's Shape Up approach, which for us means:
- We work in cycles of 5 weeks of focused work and 1 week of cool down.
- Each cycle sees one or more "bets" shipped, each having very specific and well defined requirements in addition to engineering sustainability work, and bugs.
- During cool down, each of us choose what we want to work on, be it bugs, minor features, tech debt, exploring new concepts, and more.
- Each of us can create an "idea pitch" for an upcoming cycle, and move our ideas along to eventually transform into bets and product features.
As a front-end product developer at Whimsical you will be helping to shape both the visual presentation and user experience at Whimsical by working on our collaboration tools using Canvas, improving our custom text-editor and contributing to other user facing features. You'll be responsible for continually delighting our users with best-in-class thinking tools.
In addition to Shape Up, we also occasionally roll up our sleeves and do customer support to better understand our users and their needs, regardless of our role within the company.
Our primary mode of operation is asynchronous. We use real-time communication with great care, and only where it makes sense. We use Whimsical, email, Slack, and Zoom for our day-to-day communication.
But we also believe in spending quality time together, which is why we try to bring everyone from around the world together at least twice a year for what we call "Whimsical Summits". At Summits we focus on getting to know each other better and building bonds that help us communicate better when we're apart.