Head of User Experience
You.com is the world's first open search engine platform that summarizes the web for users, with no ads, superior privacy choices, and personalization through preferred sources.
You.com is more than just a new search engine — it's a movement to make the internet a place of trust, facts, and kindness — our guiding principles that we're committing to from day one.
It's an audacious goal, but we're ambitious people. We're looking for a few more ambitious folks to join our team.
We’re not just wide-eyed dreamers – we’re pragmatic doers, too. Our founder and CEO, Richard Socher previously started an AI company called MetaMind. Salesforce acquired the company, and Richard became Chief Scientist, leading the company’s AI efforts. Prior to MetaMind, Richard received the best Ph.D. thesis award from Stanford for his groundbreaking work on deep learning. Bryan McCann, co-founder and CTO, is a scientist and philosopher who led natural language processing teams at Salesforce after completing his Master's in C.S. at Stanford. Our founding team members have built companies worth hundreds of millions of dollars and scaled software to serve millions of users. For fun, we run marathons, paramotor, write poetry, read Latin, hike, and camp in the middle of nowhere.
If this sounds intriguing, say hello!
About the Job
The You.com design team is looking for an extraordinary digital product designer to work across all platforms, including mobile and web.
You will be responsible for researching, designing, and prototyping innovative user experiences. Deliverables include design mockups, interactive prototypes, user flow diagrams, site maps, information architecture diagrams, production of visual assets, and documentation required for proper implementation.
You will work closely with cross-functional teams, including Engineering, Product Management, Brand, and Senior Management. Prior experience working within a technical environment is a key requirement. Even though you will primarily focus on user flows and experience, you should possess extraordinary visual and user interface design skills.
You have an affinity for consistency, color use, typography, and a keen eye for subtle details. While exercising a good eye for aesthetics, you can grasp and distill highly complex issues and translate them into clean, focused, understandable solutions.
Strong communication skills and the ability to stay highly organized are essential. Interest in new technologies in Web, mobile, and other devices is required.
You flourish in a dynamic, ever-changing, and deadline-driven environment. You are a natural collaborator and a phenomenal communicator, developing and presenting design ideas in a large team environment.
You should be a self-starter, self-motivated, work independently, and perform multiple tasks under minimal supervision. The work you design will be seen and experienced by millions of people worldwide every day.
To apply, you must have the right expertise and education, a web-based portfolio, a resume, and a cover letter.
5+ years in the field
Preferred: Bachelors Degree in BA or BS or Masters. Degree in interaction design, human-computer interaction, information science, cognitive science, computer science, or equivalent is strongly desired for this position, though exceptions may be made for candidates with strong portfolios.
A web-based portfolio + resume shows in-depth experience around UX design, interaction design, or similar experience across the Web for both desktop and mobile. A link to your online portfolio is required. Make sure to provide passwords as needed. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered. If parts of your portfolio involved group work, please explain your specific role in the project. Bonus points if you include any projects you have worked on for fun or solve a problem yourself! If you include your LinkedIn profile, that’s great; however, please know that your LinkedIn profile does not count as a portfolio.
Key Qualifications (List)
- 5+ years work experience.
- An excellent online portfolio showcasing UX, UI, and visual design work for mobile and Web.
- Ability to plan and conduct user research and competitor analysis.
- Ability to communicate design concepts through sketches, wireframes, diagrams, and interactive prototypes.
- Highly skilled in Figma, Adobe Creative Cloud (XD, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), Keynote, and other design tools.
- Experience designing both mobile and desktop experiences.
- Experience interpreting data and qualitative feedback, and perform tests with users
- Enthusiasm for an iterative design process inspired by group critique.
- Able to function independently and in a team environment, with excellent collaboration skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Previous and extensive experience working in the creation of integrated platforms on the Web is a plus.
- A deep understanding of design aesthetics and user interface design principles.
- A passion for You.com, our focus, and customers is a requirement.
More about You.com
You.com is an equal opportunity employer: your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status don’t matter. We’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace that is effectively distributed around the world.
We're a remote-first company, but work hours are generally within the Pacific Timezone (7 hours behind UTC). We get together in-person regularly as a team, but as long as your able to maintain significant overlap with Pacific hours during the workday we're comfortable hiring in almost any location (location-specific legal requirements permitting).
• Competitive salary and equity
• Great health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
• 401(k) plan
• Unlimited time off (4+ weeks encouraged annually)
• Generous parental leave
• Flexible work hours